Formerly known as GnomeMeeting, Ekiga
is an open source for video conferencing and instant messenger application between users on a network.
- Audio and video calls: thanks to Ekiga, users are allowed to launch audio and video calls through the Internet. For each call, you can use several options such as call hold, call transfer, call forwarding, call history, call monitoring as well as call auto-answer. Without any exception, you can perform landlines and cell phones calls.
- Instant messaging and SMS to cell phones: the application is built-in with smiley so that you can express your feelings. It is also possible to display your peer chat status. If the service provider supports it, Ekiga can also sending SMS to cell phones.
- Contacts: your contact’s status will be displayed in the same interface with a custom message. You can set your own status (Busy, Away or Online). Thanks to an address book, you can easily find contacts to call.
- Codec features: apart from that, Ekiga can automatically choose the common codecs between the peers, limit the video Bandwidth. It also supports plug-in for audio and video codecs that you can find on the editor’s website.
- Operating system: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
- Internet connection.
- This is the stable version with the most important changes and improvements.
- Ekiga has a plain interface.