Within a few months, Bing will generate over 30% of results for searches based keyword (all search engines combined): a mechanical effect resulting from the alliance between Yahoo! - Microsoft, and will soon become the main competitor Google. An evolution that has not gone unnoticed, and forcing webmasters, bloggers, professionals and administrators of websites to address the specific SEO techniques bound to search engine from Microsoft. If there are many similarities with the rules of indexing on Google, but Bing also has some peculiarities. Here is a mini-guide on the important points for the SEO on Bing
SEO on Bing: basic tips
Bing joined Google when it comes the basic rules of SEO for websites. In its "Tool Box", the search engine of Microsoft reminds us of some fundamental and recommends:
Use relevant and unique titles tag on all web pages (they must contain the keywords that reflect the content of the page)
Conduct a brief description of the content via meta tags
Optimize the "Headers" tags in the content, particularly at the H1 level
Merging your content with internal navigation links
Provide a site map (XML)
Create Robots.txt file
The URL format
Bing recommends using URLs as simple as possible: the engine and is based on the user experience: a short URL is easy to remember and stored in their favorites, so it will be easier to index by Bing.
The URL must also be stable: Bing penalizes redirects addresses, and does not recognize incoming links redirected obsolete addresses, which affects the indexing of pages.
- Bing recommends to thematize the contents "one topic per page". The web pages without pictures should not exceed 150 KB.
-Note that, if you want to reference contact data (eg for business), make sure that they in the text on the web, in addition to the image or logo.
- Submit a site map (sitemap) is essential to help the SEO of web pages: especially if your site includes embedded links to the menus that are not accessible by MSNBot. See here to submit a sitemap.
- The website must not contain too many levels of hierarchy: Bing recommends that each web page is located no more than three clicks from the homepage.
The incoming and outgoing links
Incoming links: Bing points out that the acquisition of incoming links is a key for the SEO on the engine. Quality backlinks is essential. To do this, websites referees should have a good reputation (PageRank) and a theme related to their own content (relevance).
Outbound Links: The same rule applies to outbound links. Bing recommends the inclusion of quality links: the more they will be monitored, the more related content is deemed relevant and that will improve the ranking of the site.
Three mistakes to avoid
Like Google, Bing does not like SEO "Cheaters": whether copy and paste contents (duplicate content) or saturating a web page keywords, the penalty is always the same: the risk that your Page Rank drop, see to be banned from search engine results, is very real.
Bing also recommends avoiding the following three lines:
- Increasing artificially the text content of a page with irrelevant keywords: overexploiting the ALT attribute in its web pages, to add keywords that do not reflect the content thereof.
- Use hidden words and links
- Using a technique called "link farming", which consist of generating automatically or manually (in any case artificially) links to your website to improve page rank.