Wikis are useful tools for rapid implementation of information pages and collaborative work.
DokuWiki is a compact, complete and very fast to implement wiki. It requires no database.
DokuWiki can be downloaded from the official site: http://www.dokuwiki.org/
Unzip the archive and upload the files on your website (7-Zip can be used to unpack .tgz files). In this example, we shall place our wiki in the /wiki subdirectory of the website.
- If your host supports .htaccess files, rename the .htaccess.dist files to .htaccess
- Via a browser, go to page http://yoursite/wiki/install.php
- At the top right of the page, you have the option to change the language.
- Then fill in the title for wiki, the necessary information for the administrator of the wiki (login, password, name ...)
- From there define the access policy for your wiki:
- -Open Wiki: Everyone can read and write articles.
- -Public Wiki: Everyone can read, only registered users can write.
- -Closed Wiki: Only registered users can read and write articles.
- Ifyou wish, you can specify the license under which the contents are to be published.
- Then click the Save button.
- Installation is complete!
- Delete the install.php
- You can now access the home page of your wiki: http://yoursite/wiki/
Creating the first page
Here's the homepage (empty):
- Click "Create this page". You can then edit the page content.
- DokuWiki has a simple syntax (** bold ** // italic //) but you can use the buttons included on the page instead of directly using the syntax.
- Click "Preview" or directly or 'Save' once you have completed the page.
- Here is our first page:
Create a link
- We'll add a new page and a link to the latter.
- Edit again your home page, and add the third line:
- Click on "Save": The page has been changed, and the link appears in red. This means that it points to a page that does not exist yet.
- Click on this link: You arrive on the new page that you just created with the button "Create this page ".
- And click on "Save." The page is created!
- In the homepage, the link is now in green:
- Well then! here's how to create (and without great effort) two pages, with a link between them.
- This make up the basic operations of DokuWiki. But you can explore the rest of DokuWiki (other syntaxes, Classification Folder / namespaces, sending images, rights management, Undo Changes, user management, plugins, etc..). The possibilities are numerous.
Original FAQ by Sebsauvage
Published by jak58
Latest update on December 14, 2010 at 10:42 AM by jak58.