Purpose of this tip
Here below is a simple method, on how preventing the recovery of deleted files:
- First, make sure the recycle bin of Nautilus (the file browser) is empty.
- Right click on it and choose the option Empty Recylcle bin
If you have other partitions (FAT, NTFS ...), each of them has its own recycle bin and this manipulation will not be applicable tothem
To view these hidden files press (CTRL + H) and look at the root of each partition the directory for the .Trash
folders and delete the files.
Crushing the free space
- To avoid the recovery of deleted files, use the secure-delete package .
- For a more effective results use the command:
sudo sfill -v /
- For certain file systems (such as ext3), it is impossible to guarantee a permanent deletion.
- Programs are included with secure-delete: srm (deleting a file), smem (erasing the memory), sswap (erasing the swap file).
- For a file to be never written unencrypted disk, you can use encrypted file systems like TrueCrypt.