How to free up space on the system partition?
Consider the following
- Your hard drive has two partitions.
- The first one is where the operating system is installed and the second one is for your data.
- The system partition is almost full while the other on had still has a lot of free space.
Two solutions are available:
We will take a look at the second method!
=Moving the Documents folder==
To move the Document folder:
- Right-click on the folder > Properties
- Go to the "Location" tab.
- Click on the Move button and indicate the new location for this folder.
Using the same method you can change the default location of the following Libraries:
Moving the Favorites folder
To move the Favorites folder, you will first need the make some modifications in the registy.
- Open the registry (Start > Run and type regedit).
Head to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE> Microsoft Windows > CurrentVersion> Explorer User Shell Folders
- Double-click on Favorites and indicate the new path.
Messages from Outlook Express
Double-click on Tools > Options > Maintenance tab > file storage > Edit.
The swap file
- Go to the Control Panel > System > Advanced tab. Then click on "Settings" under "Performance"
- Go to the Advanced tab and click on Edit.
- Check "No paging file" then click "Define".
- Select the partition on which you want to put the swap file and check the "Size managed by the system" or "Custom size"
- Finally, click "Set" to confirm the selection and then restart your PC.
- Go to Control Panel> Internet Options> General tab> Browsing History. Click on Settings, move the file and indicate the new target.
- Delete the obsolete files resulting from the removal of Windows updates.
- These hidden files are located in C:\Windows and they begin with $NTUninstallKB.
You can also remove old restore points using Disk Cleanup utility:
- Open the Control Panel > System Tools> Disk Cleanup </bold>
- Select a partition, then go to Extras tab and choose Clean restore points.
- For more information about restore points: click on Managing Windows Restore Points
- Ccleaner allows you to clean your system of temporary files, log files,...etc