Choose the best antivirusprogram to protect your computer system against viruses. There are many websites that allows users to scan for virus' online for free. Regular scanning and an effective antivirus system are essential for the security of your system, which prevents damage and data loss. There is a plethora of popular antivirus softwares available to protect your system from virus', spyware and malware. The antivirus installed has to be updated regularly so it remains effective. It is important to choose the best antivirus carefully reviewing all the available antivirus software.
An antivirus is a computer program designed to search, disable and remove viruses, Trojans, malware or worms from a computer system. Each antivirus program has its own features and some can remove only a particular kind of virus from a computer, while others are built to eliminate them all. Hence, you should be cautious while choosing which antivirus to install on your system and remember to make regular updates as at least 100 new viruses can be discovered each day.
How to know if your computer is infected?
Computers normally get infected very easily. The most common ways of getting viruses, Trojans and worms are:
1. from a software, program or file that you have recently downloaded
2. from an infected removable drive that you have plugged into your PC
3. from pop ups from various websites
4. or simply from infected sharing folders on a network
To know whether you computer has been infected or not, you should ensure that it has not:
1. been running too slowly lately
2. been displaying fatal error messages
3. prevented you from running or accessing some specific programs/files/programs
4. automatically hidden or deleted some files/folders/programs from your system
5. renamed your programs/files/folders in an awkward way
6. allowed you to run your operating system properly
7. displayed weird symbols or signs while running your system
8. frozen or promptly interrupted any tasks
9. displayed infected files on your system while scanning your computer with an antivirus
These are among the most common ways to know if your computer has been infected but the best method remains prevention. If you have a good antivirus installed, you will be warned each time a virus is trying to attack your system and if it should be either quarantined or removed.
Here's a list of the most effective antivirus programs currently available online:
BitDefender is an antivirus / Antispyware that protects against phishing attacks.
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (Service Pack 4 or higher), Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 2 or Higher), Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 2 or higher), Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows Vista x64.
Hardware and Software Requirements: 50 MB free space on the hard disk, CD-ROM (for installation), Internet connection (for activation and updates), Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher (for updating signatures and the program), Microsoft Windows Installer 2.0.