Choosing your business server - some tips!
You want to invest in a server for your company? Below you will find some information on how to pinpoint what is needed. It's all about asking the right questions. What types of servers exist? Which one to choose depending on your business? The cost/benefits constraints?
Do you really need a server in your company?
Key features and benefits of an business server:
- Regularly back up all your files: Limit the risks and consequences that may result from the lost of important files, which also include a lost of time and money for your business.
- Securing data: this includes the establishment of a mechanism for identifying users (login and password).
- Centralized system: makes data accessible to all users who should have access, whether employees or customers (outsiders). You can create different levels of access: read or write.
No need to invest in a corporate server if your company has fewer than 5 people. Some online tools/cloud services can replace the functionality of a server. A simple collaborative file storage and sharing or printing service may be used in this situation.
The type of network will be mainly based upon your business purposes and the processes of your company. The requirements differ depending on the extent and nature of your business. That's why you first need to hire a professional if you want to install a server in your company.
The capabilities of your server must be fine tuned to meet your particular needs, without taking into account the cost. If the capacity of the server of your company is too low, access to the server and browsing will be slow. Costs and productivity would suffer.
The main uses of a business server
E-mail servers allow you to effectively manage your emails with several options. They also enforce privacy and protection of professional data (employees don't have to use their personal mails to work on professional data):
- automated response: notify your absence during your holiday or travel
- automatic sorting: title, subject, content...
- webmail: check your mail from any computer connected to the internet or from your laptop, PDA, Blackberry etc.
- The file server allows all your employees to record their data. The contents of the file server are regularly and automatically saved.
Dynamic web server
- It allows all your employees or customers to access applications and documents on the server of your company via a simple internet browser.
- The telephony server makes your intra-company communications free. Your external communications can be free or cost effective.
- The print server provides access to the network printer(s) of the company and includes a tool to manage all the print jobs.
- Servers usually have all the necessary tools for their security: firewall, antivirus, antispam etc.
The solutions available:
Among the companies specializing in the installation of enterprise servers (small and medium business servers):
A server is an investment: it will cost about $4000 for a small company (about 10 people) to have a file, mail and web server. But sometimes a server may be necessary to improve your business, so feel free to seek the advice from professional and compare the different offers before making your choice!
Original article published by zora3
. Translated by hyts78
. - Latest update by deri58