Excel - A macro to check for errors
I have a report that I am using for a customer of mine that lists there kits in a matrix for me. Once in a while I find an error where a kit might have different items associated to it, which can't happen. So I am trying to create a macro of some sort to do some checks to make sure everything is populated correctly. Here is an example of the spreadsheet...
A B C D E
1Kit Item Item2 Item3 Results
2AAA ABC BCD CDE
3AAA ABC BCD CDE GOOD
4BBB BCD CDE DEF
5BBB ABC BCD CDE BAD
6BBB ABC BCD CDE GOOD
7CCC BCD CDE DEF
8CCC ABC BCD CDE BAD
9CCC CDE CDE DEF BAD
10CCC ABC BCD CDE
I need to write a macro that will do the following.
- If cell A1 = A2 then check if B1 = B2 & C1 = C2 & D1 = D2.
- If all match then post "GOOD" to E1, else post "BAD to E1
- But if A1 <> A2 then leave E1 blank and step down to A2 vs A3
- In the example above A2 = A3 and B2 = B3 & C2 = C3 & D2 = D3, so E3 = GOOD
- In the example above A4 = A5 and B4 <> B5 & C4 <> C5 & D4 <> D5, so E5 = BAD
If you need a macro, here is the code:
Dim Kit, Item, Item2, Item3, Results As Range
Dim itemCount As Long
itemCount = Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Rows.Count
Set Kit = Range("A:A")
Set Item = Range("B:B")
Set Item2 = Range("C:C")
Set Item3 = Range("D:D")
Set Results = Range("E:E")
For i = 3 To itemCount
Select Case Kit(i, 1) = Kit(i - 1, 1)
If Item(i, 1) = Item(i - 1, 1) And Item2(i, 1) = Item2(i - 1, 1) _
And Item3(i, 1) = Item3(i - 1, 1) Then
Results(i, 1) = "GOOD"
If (Item(i, 1) = Item(i - 1, 1) And Item2(i, 1) = Item2(i - 1, 1) _
And Item3(i, 1) = Item3(i - 1, 1)) = False Then
Results(i, 1) = "BAD"
Results(i, 1) = ""
Thanks to Mehedad
for this tip.