Download and Install Windows 8
Here's a step by step procedure on how to install the new version of Microsoft's operating system on your PC.
Windows 8 is compatible with all PCs running under Vista and 7. Here are the minimum hardware specifications required:
- Processor: 1 GHz or higher
- Memory: 1 GB or more for 32-bit versions, 2GB or more for the 64-bit version;
- Disk space: 16 GB or more for 32-bit, 20 GB or more for 64-bit version;
- Graphics Card: DirectX 9 compatible;
- Additionally: a trackpad or multitouch screen/tablet to use touch interface.
Note that: PCs prior to 2005 may have a processor that does not support SSE2, PAE and NX bit functions, required by Windows 8.
Using the installer
You can use the installer version of Windows 8 Consumer Preview or download an ISO image from the Microsoft website.
- Go to this page, "click on Get in Now", and then click Download Windows 8 Consumer Preview, and finally click on Run.
- The application then determines whether your PC is able to run Windows 8 Consumer Preview and provide the appropriate download.
- The installation program also offers a compatibility report and update support features.
This computer is compatible with Windows 8 Consumer Preview.
- If some items are not 100% compatible, you can also visit the online compatibility center.
- A registration key is provided on the download page.
- Note it down carefully or copy/paste it in the document (in Notepad for example).
- You will be asked for it later. Click Next to start the download of Windows 8.
- Two versions are available: 32-bit and 64-bit.
- The downloaded version will be the same type as the operating system you are running.
Using the ISO image
Visit this page
and download the version you want to install. Once the ISO image is downloaded, burn it to a DVD. For your information, if the download was performed on a computer running Windows 7, simply double-click on the ISO file to start burning procedure.
From the installer
- Once the installer is downloaded, a dialog box prompts you to begin the installation.
- Select Install Now to put Windows 8 on the active partition or install it on another partition.
- Then click Next and follow the instructions given by the wizard.
From an ISO image burned on a DVD
- Insert the DVD containing the ISO image in the drive and restart the computer.
- Press a key when prompted to boot from the DVD.
- Then simply follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows on the partition of your choice.
Original article published by Carlos-vialfa
. Translated by deri58
. - Latest update by Ambucias