Remove your Facebook profile from search engines
There are countless examples where people have suffered from having their Facebook profile indexed on the search engines:
- A future employer trying to learn about you.
- Your current employer wanting to collect information against you.
- People who want to get information about your private life
- Your tax inspector, your mother-in-law, etc..
There are several solutions that can be implemented, to limit the visibility of Facebook profile on search engines:
- Encrypt your name
- Configure the privacy options
Removing your profile from search engines
This is a simple option but unknown to the general public. Once enable Facebook will tell search engines not to index your profile.
- Sign-in to your Facebook account.
- Click on the small arrow button > Settings.
- Go to "Privacy".
- Go to "Who can look me up? > "Do you want other search engines to link to your Timeline?"
- Uncheck "Let other search engines link to your timeline".
Encrypt your name
A method increasingly being used by Facebook users: a slight change of your name.
Modify your name:
- Jean Dujardin can be written as JeanDu Garden
Add a special character:
- Jean Dujardin can be written as Jean Duj-ardin
Remove part of the name.
Configure your privacy options
You can configure the other Privacy options of Facebook:
- Who can contact me?
- Who can see my stuff?