Where to dowload a GNU/Linux distribution?
To download a GNU/Linux distribution, you can either use the mirror websites or the Official website. The mirror websites are really useful when the server is overloaded.
you will find all the GNU/Linux and FreeBSD distributions.
Here below, some links:
What should you download?
The file(s) to be downloaded will have the .iso extension! You will choose your download according to several criteria.
- The Version:
- old (these are older versions)
- stable (the latest stable version of the distribution)
- release (New version with improvements)
- Night or Weekly build (For Debian every week, usually on Monday)
- Test versions (there are distributions that make available as test versions - for example Debian)
- The architecture of your machine (i386, i486, i586, i686, amd64, x86_64 etc.).
- Image type (CD, DVD)
What plate-form/architecture to choose from?
In most cases, it will either be a processor of the Intel or AMD family (32 or 64 bits).
For more information:
In reality, you do not need to know too many details about the microprocessor.
- For a Pentium or Athlon 32-bit
- you can choose i386, i486, i586, i686.
- For a Pentium 64-bit
- you can choose i386, i486, i586, i686 or x86_64 (you can install a 32-bit version for Linux on 64-bit architecture)
- For an Athlon 64-bit
- you can choose i386, i486, i586, i686 or amd64 (you can install a 32-bit version for Linux on 64-bit architecture)
- For a Mac
- you can choose PowerPC (ppc) or PowerPC 64.
Published by jak58
Latest update on April 24, 2013 at 08:33 AM by jak58.