In his artice, "Eleven tips for Optimizing PDFs for search engines
" Galen DeYoung offers 11 tips optimize the visibility of Adobe Acrobat files on Search engines. Here's a short summary:
Source : http://s.billard.free.fr
- Make sure that the content of your PDF files are in the text format (no vectorize text or a bitmap format).
- Complete the document properties (title..etc).
- Just like for a web page, the quality of the content is vital.
- If you include links to websites in your documents, make sure to use the titles of relevant links.
- Pay attention to the format versions, some search engines may not be compatible with the latest versions of Acrobat.
- Be sure to keep a reasonable file size. If your files are too large, not all of their content will be indexed.
- Make sure that your PDFs will be easily found by search engines, positioning them correctly in your tree.
- The description of your PDFs in the results pages is important, choose a relevant text to be put at the beginning of your documents (like web pages, this is the technique called "front loading").
- Specify the reading order of the components of your document.
- Tag your PDF files.
- Set title and alternative text for images.
- Check all these points after each edition of your *.pdf files