How to connect to the web when you are abroad? The WiFi access points provide access to web content from anywhere, but there are a few precautions to be taken!
Configure WiFi access on a smartphone:
- Go to the network settings
- Enable WiFi.
- Select the network you want to connect.
- Enter the password or WEP key.
- Depending on the configuration of access point, it can be accessed with or without a password. For example, some hotels give passwords to their customers only.
- The password can also be requested by opening a page in your browser.
- At the end of your browsing session, disable the WiFi feature of your smartphone, to save battery power.
Securing your smartphones
- Do not save unsecured network (e.g airports) in the WiFi settings smartphone.
- Disable the WiFi when not in use, to make sure that the smartphone is not connected to unknown and untrusted networks.
- Prefer encrypted networks.
- Some public places (city parks, shopping centers) offer free WiFi access in exchange for your e-mail address.
- To avoid fraud, never give your e-mail address and personal password on the same page.
Going abroad : Some Wi-Fi hotspots
Some sites reference the WiFi hotspots in the major cities worldwide.
- Wefi.com/maps: An interactive map that list the WiFi hotspots. Enter the name of the city and navigate the map.
- Openwifispots.com: This website lists the free WiFi hotspots in the United States, Canada, Europe and Australia. It is a collaborative directory.
Published by jak58
Latest update on August 9, 2013 at 07:02 AM by deri58.