Guest blogging is an effective method to improve the SEO of your blog and gain notoriety in the blogosphere. This net-linking technique has evolved over the years to comply to the updates made to the Google's algorithm. How to get started with guest blogging and what are the necessary precautions for a successful campaign?
What is the guest blogging?
The guest blogging is a netlinking technique, with consist of:
- The hosting of contents from a third author on your website,
- The creation of the free content for a host blog,
This natural SEO technique based on reciprocity:
- The "host" blog is enriched by new articles (improve the SEO ).
- The guest author gains visibility on a third site, through:
- links pointing to his blog,
- a biography displayed at the bottom of the article, etc..
What is the point of guest blogging?
For the guest blogger:
- Develop relationships with bloggers who are experts in their field. Some bloggers are also very influential on social networks (Twitter, Facebook), which is an asset in building your personal brand and interact with other influential bloggers.
- Develop relationships with the community of readers, lead them to discover your blog and then retain them.
- Improve the SEO/organic traffic of your blog by inserting properly anchored backlinks in your articles.
For the host blog
- Enrich your blog with unique content.
- improve the SEO of your blog (regular content update).
- more time to work on other aspects of the development of a blog (e.g affiliation).
- Expand your network of relationships (new bloggers).
benefit from the network of the guest, who will share the bill through its distribution channels (Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus, etc.).
Google's position on the guest blogging?
- Qualitative guest blogging: The host blog published editorial contributions from a person who is an authority in his field and/or with a good writing. One such collaboration is beneficial to both blogs when the content is unique and meets certain length requirements.
- Guest blogging treated as spam: Publishing a slightly modified version of an article that has already been the subject of several publications on other websites (Content Spinning). This practice akin to plagiarism should be avoided.
How to find a host blog?
- Create a list of influential blogs (same theme): take into account the age of the blog, its PageRank, and some social cues (number of subscribers: Twitter and Facebook accounts, quality of comments).
- If necessary, look for the appearance of publications from the blogs in Google News.
- Make a first selection by identifying blogs open to guest blogging.
- Examine the contents of the blog: categories, angles of approach.
- Study the biography of the editor of the blog (e.g LinkedIn, Viadeo profiles)
- Identify a potential need in terms of content
- For the first contact: do not copy and paste messages from other bloggers, taking into account the fact that the host blogger frequently receives such requests.
Guest blogger: the best practices
- Offer unique content.
- Ban advertising connotations.
- Choose the type of articles to be published ("10 Tips for", "How to ... ? ")
- The length of the article should more than 300 words, ideally between 600 and 900 words.
- Be careful not over-optimize your articles for SEO (choice of titles, headings, keywords).
- Make use of nofollow links (see above).
- Respond to the comments to keep the discussions alive.
Published by deri58
Latest update on August 1, 2013 at 07:52 AM by deri58.