What are the secure payment methods exist on the Web and how do they work? Learn more:
Payment with a credit card
The information requested as part of a payment by credit card:
- The card number.
- Expiration date.
- The three-digit code on the back.
A secure site will never ask for the 4-digit PIN. Moreover, it is not advisable give such information on a merchant site.
The virtual credit card is offered directly by the bank attached to your bank account/credit card. It allows you to make a purchase without entering the credit card number, thanks to a temporary number.
The 3D Secure protocol is sometimes used by e-commerce sites to validate transaction.
When a 3D Secure payment is offered, the steps are :
- Enter the information requested on website.
- an SMS containing a passcode is sent.
- the code is entered on the site.
- validation of the payment.
Pay online without a credit card
For users who do not want to use their credit card to make purchases, it is possible to use the electronic payments system such as Paypal or Google Wallet.
The Paypal account acts as an intermediary between the user and the merchant site. To use this service, simply create an account and link it to a credit card.
- Google Wallet is Google's new service , created instead of Google Checkout to compete with PayPal. Google Checkout will ends its services in November 2013.
- This service incorporates NFC ( Near Field Communication) and offers payment via mobile phones.
Photo : © bloomua - Fotolia.com
Published by jak58
Latest update on September 18, 2013 at 09:06 AM by jak58.