Video, photo or audio editing: before choosing a multimedia, you will need to pay a closer look at its components. What are the important technical criteria?
What tasks must be managed?
The PC must be able to:
- Seamlessly manage (without interruption) your video, photo or audio editing tasks.
- Display videos in high definition, launch programs quickly and to run multiple programs simultaneously without slowdown (multitasking).
Laptop or desktop?
- Modern desktop PCs and laptops have sufficient resources to carry out these tasks.
- Your choice will be based on the following criteria: the size of the screen, mobile or sedentary use and the ability to upgrade the hardware (CPU, RAM).
PC or Mac?
- The price comes into consideration when choosing between a PC (Windows) and Mac. Apple models tend to be more expensive.
- Choose a model corresponding to your real needs.
- This is a key factor which determines the overall performance of the computer. It is best to opt for multi-core processors.
- Intel Core i7 models have four physical cores are among the most popular processors available today.
- A minimum of 8 GB of RAM is recommended to perform tasks like video, audio or photo editing.
The graphics card
- For basic video processing (excluding 3D and CGI), the entry-level graphics cards are enough.
- Opt for a PCs with SSD to store the operating system and programs (quicker launch).
- It is best to install an additional hard drive (HDD) with a good storage capacity (minimum 1TB) to store your projects.
Photo: © Marek - Fotolia.com