AVG Free is an open source antivirus and anti-spyware
software that guards the PC from threats that can harm the system. The user can update
this software; however, the update
process may fail and it may show an error message such as, connection with update
server failed. There are three options to solve this issue with AVG Free. Firstly, one can make the changes in the settings of Dial-up
. Secondly, one can choose the required connection settings in the AVG Free Watchdog
that allows interaction between the service and the desktop. If none of these work, then the issue may be due to a .ctf file
that has to be deleted following which, the update
must be restarted.
When you want to update your antivirus AVG Free
, it displays the following message:
update failed, the connection with update server has failed
- Open AVG
- Click on Tool>
- Click on Advanced settings
- Click on Update
- Click on Dial-up.
- Uncheck the box Dial-up
- Open the Control Panel
- Click on Administrative Tools
- Click on services
- Right click on AVG Free Watchdog
- Choose properties
- Select the Connection tab
- Check "Allow service to interact with desktop".
If this still does not work:
- Open C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data (visible after viewing hidden files)\AVG8\update\download
- Delete the two *.ctf files then restart the update!
Published by jak58
Latest update on March 11, 2012 at 06:50 PM by Virginia Parsons.