How to format a SD card
The MicroSD memory card is one of the most used storage media format. It is removable and compatible with a wide range of devices, including digital cameras, GPS, game consoles, smartphones, etc... Their capacity ranges from 1GB up to 128 GB.
This short tutorial explains how to format your SD card, whether you are using a Mac, PC or Android smartphone.
- Connect your SD card to your computer (using a USB adapter if your computer does not have built-in card reader).
- Go to "Computer".
- The list of storage media and optical drives is displayed in this section.
- In the list that appears, select your SD card.
- Right-click > Format.
- For the SD card to be compatible with all your equipment, choose "FAT32".
- NB: the quick format option will format your SD card without checking hardware errors.
Mac OS X
- Connect the SD card to your Mac.
- It will automatically appear on your desktop.
- Go to Applications > Utilities.
- Open the Disk Utility.
- Select your SD card.
- Select the Erase tab.
- Click on Volume Format > FAT32.
- Enter a Name for the SD card and click on Erase to start the formatting.
- Before formatting your SD card, make sure you unmount it!
- Go to the Settings > Storage > Unmount SD card.
- Tap on Erase SD card.
Published by deri58
Latest update on January 22, 2015 at 04:55 AM by deri58.