If you want to know if your email has been sent successfully to your recipient then you must activate certain options in Outlook and Thunderbird.
Get a return receipt with Outlook
For a specific email:
- Outlook 2007. When writing a message, click Options. Check Request a delivery receipt. To ensure that your message has been read/opened by your recipient, select "request a read receipt".
- Outlook 2000-2003. When writing a message, click Options> Tracking Options. Check "Request a read receipt for this message."
For all emails:
- In the main window of Outlook (2000, 2003, 2007), click: Tools> Options. In "Preferences", click Mail Options> Tracking Options.
- Then check the "read receipts" (or "confirm reading each message").
Get a return receipt with Thunderbird
- When writing a message with Mozilla Thunderbird, click on Tools/ Select Request a return receipt.
To enable this feature for all emails:
- In the main program window, click on Tools> Options.
- In the Options window, click on " Return receipts" in the lower right.
- A new window opens. Check When sending a message, always ask for a receipt.