To repair Windows XP , a complete format
is not always required. This process can be quite inconvenient as it may lead to loss of data. Through the CD installation
too, you can repair Windows XP. This can be done when the PC is booted up
with the CD installation
. The operating system must be a licensed
one as the Windows registration key
i.e. the CD key, is a must to carry out the repair.
Repairing Windows XP using the installation CD
The installation CD for Windows XP allows you to repair Windows whenever there is file missing or some other corruption or malfunction. It is worth following these steps before resorting to reformatting your hard drive and wiping your saved data:
- The first step is to boot the computer using the installation CD.
- Press Enter to setup Windows and accept the license agreement
- Select the XP installation you want to repair and then press R
- You will be asked to press any key to boot to the CD
- Do not press any key - Windows will boot automatically and start the installation
- After installation, enter the CD key (Windows registration key) to finish the process
You can now remove the CD from the drive and reboot the computer to check if it has worked.
Original article published by Jeff
. Translated by jak58
. - Latest update by Ambucias