If you want to share documents or play multi-player games via the internet, as if you were on your local network, simply create a virtual private network (VPN). A virtual private network connects two "physical" networks (LAN) via an unreliable connection (internet). Only the computers belonging to the local networks on both sides of the VPN, can access the data circulating over the network.
While the implementation of a business virtual private network is quite complicated and it requires good knowledge in computer networking, it is possible to set up a simple VPN easily:
- Using the features of Windows (XP/2003/Vista)
- Using special software
Configure a VPN under Windows XP
- To set up a VPN on Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server or Windows Vista read: Installing a VPN under XP
Create a VPN with Hamachi
The software Hamachi (LogMeIn) allows you to create a virtual private network, without any advanced knowledge in computer networking.
- Download and install Hamachi
- Launch Hamachi.
- Click on the Power button to connect to the Hamachi network.
- A window will ask you to create a user account: Enter a nickname and confirm.
- Once your account created, you can choose to Create a Network or Join a existing Network
Creating a network and inviting your friends
- Click on the Create a Network button
- Enter a name (ID) for your network and select a password:
- Click on the Create button.
- Your network is Online
- For your friends to join your network, simply communicate your network ID and password.
- Of course, they need to have Hamachi installed on their PC to access your VPN.
To join a network
- Click on the Networks menu > Join Existing Network:
- Enter the Network ID and password.
Published by jak58
Latest update on August 9, 2013 at 04:26 AM by deri58.