The virus definition files of an installed antivirus program must be updated regularly for security against the latest viruses. Generally, the antivirus software
installed contact the servers and downloads the required files automatically. At times, due to the servers being saturated or problems cropping up with downloading the files, a manual update of the AntiVir Avira virus definition file
may be required. To update manually,the latest virus definition file must be downloaded. There is an option in the AntiVir Avira antivirus program
to manually update the AntiVir Avira virus definition file
. When prompted, the downloaded file has to be used with the program to complete the update.
To manually update the virus definitions in Avira (but not the program itself), follow these steps:
- Go to this page
- Download the Unicode version of the VDF (Virus Definition File) to your desktop
- Download the iVDF file if your software version is prior to the 9th release
- Open Antivir and open the Update menu, then select Manual Update
- Search for the downloaded file (vdf.***.zip)
- There's no need to manipulate the file or unzip
- Select the file and click Open
- Wait for the procedure to be completed and then you can delete the downloaded zip file as it is no longer useful
Published by jak58
Latest update on February 16, 2012 at 08:50 PM by Paul Berentzen.