To install Ubuntu, at least 384 Megabytes of memory are required. However, it is possible to install Ubuntu on a PC with only 128 MB of RAM, with a full Gnome desktop.
- A PC with 128 MB of memory or more.
- A CD-Rom drive
- 3 Gb of free space on hard drive.
- An Ethernet card recognized by Ubuntu
- Internet connection (preferably Ethernet).
The Internet connection is necessary because the installation is done via the network.Download and burn the installation CD of Ubuntu (MinimalCD): here
This ISO image (13 MB) allows installation of Ubuntu directly via the internet.
- Boot from the minimal CD and choose "Command-line install".
- Proceed with the installation of the system. At the end of the installation, after rebooting, you get a text mode.
- Login with the username and password you chose during installation.
(Plymouth errors can be ignored.)
Installing core packages
Then, install the base packages below to get a graphical desktop (Gnome).
sudo apt-get install gnome-core gdm gnome-system-tools network-manager-gnome human-theme x11-xserver-utils tangerine-icon-theme gnome-themes-ubuntu gnome-themes-selected ubuntu-artwork jockey-gtk gnome-screensaver xcursor-themes gnome-utils file-roller
(You can also type the following command: wget http://sebsauvage.net/temp/umin.sh && chmod +x umin.sh && ./umin.sh
(Note: It is possible to have an lighter GUI with JWM or IceWM, but you lose the benefits of the Gnome/Ubuntu integration.)
): You can now login to your GUI.
You may get a popup error about "FastUserSwitchApplet": Just click the "Remove" button.
Installing additional software
When choosing software, it is recommended to avoid heavy ones such as OpenOffice.org
Here are some recommended packages for a basic system:
sudo apt-get install gcalctool brasero chromium-browser abiword gnumeric vlc p7zip-full ubuntu-restricted-extras
- Chromium : Chromium is lighter than the Firefox browser and based on Webkit (like Chrome or Safari).
- gcalctool, a calculator.
- brasero : CD/DVD burning application.
- abiword is a word processor lighter OpenOffice.org Writer.
- gnumeric spreadsheet is a good alternative to OpenOffice.org Calc.
- VLC is a media player (audio/video) that can play almost any format.
- p7zip-full can read many different archive formats (cab, rar ...)
- ubuntu-restricted-extras: Flash plugin, Java, codecs, Microsoft TrueType fonts, etc..
- The system is already provided with Evince, a PDF reader.
You are with a basic system for surfing the internet and perform office duties.
Thanks to Seb-Sauvage for this tip.
Published by jak58
Latest update on June 2, 2010 at 08:01 AM by sebsauvage.