What is X,X Window ,X11, XFree86 and X.org ?
- X,known as X Window is the protocol used for displaying graphics and event management (mouse, keyboard, etc.).. This software is designed to operate through a network (X provides only basic functions and does not display buttons, to decorate their windows or allow manipulation: It is the task of layers on Windows manager(Metacity, KWin, ...), IceWM desktop environment (Gnome, KDE ...) and graphics libraries (GTK, Qt ..)).
- The most common protocol is version 11, where X11.
- There are several software that implements the X11 protocol through which the most famous is XFree86.
- Due to internal conflicts and issues licenses, the project has X.org fork from source XFree86 and now follows its own road.
- Apart from XFree86 and X.org, there are also other implementation of the X11 protocol, as well as commercial free.
- Most Linux distribution nowadays use X.org. :-
Published by deri58
Latest update on June 17, 2010 at 04:34 PM by deri58.