No audio when using tv as pc display

Closed
marcusworland Posts 1 Registration date Monday October 2, 2017 Status Member Last seen October 2, 2017 - Oct 2, 2017 at 04:05 PM
 Blocked Profile - Oct 2, 2017 at 04:59 PM
Hello,
So I have recently started upgrading a Dell Optiplex. I Intend on using the PC as an all in one media center for all my videos pictures and music, that's why I don't need an amazing PC. However I decided, to keep costs down, instead of buying a monitor that I would use the TV in my room. There was no HDMI port to use so I went and bought a VGA cable which i then realized doesn't transfer sound, I'm just so used to HDMI it never dawned on me this would be an issue. So I bought an AUX cable and also an RCA (the one with red white and 3.5mm jack bits). No matter which way I use these it just doesn't seem to be working for me. My TV is a Sony Bravia KDL-40W5500 any help would be appreciated.
Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Oct 2, 2017 at 04:51 PM
If you are using the TV via VGA, then you need another ($!0 pair) of speakers to plug into th ePC. The TV cannot change two different inputs for video, and audio. Use the TV for display, and the stereo (via the RCA) for sound!
Marcusworland
Oct 2, 2017 at 04:54 PM
So I can't use vga cable along with a different cable to get the tv to display the screen and audio simultaneously?
Nope, there is no audio in VGA specification. Your tv only know about the VGA path, and there no audio, unless your tv hase a MINI-DIN input (typically right next to the VGA input!)