Trying to connect OLD acer with broken screen to tv or pc

Closed
xBelovedx - Oct 20, 2017 at 10:33 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Oct 20, 2017 at 02:30 PM
Hello,

Currently trying to get access to a very old Acer laptop that I have so that I can access any files or photos that may still be on the computer. I went out and bought a VGA cord and an adapter to transfer it to HDMI so that I could use my samsung smart TV as a monitor for the computer.

Due to its age and several of the labels of being worn I am unsure of what buttons need to be pressed in order to allow it to transfer to the TV but I have attempted several combinations with the FN and F4 F5 and F6.

I do not have an external monitor and was wondering if it was possible to use a mirroring software one the current working laptop that I have to access the broken laptop since I have realized that you cannot use a VGA cord to simply use the current working laptop as a screen... unless there is a way and I have not discovered how to do so.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.. I have run out of options and have become clueless at this point.

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 20, 2017 at 02:30 PM
You can buy a USB hard drive enclosure - remove the drive from the old computer and put it into the enclosure. The result is an external drive that can be plugged into you current laptop's USB port. If it is really an old computer it probably has a IDE type drive and you might need to go online to find the correct enclosure.

Good Luck