My Dell XPS 15 Notebook has black screen when start up

Closed
akka2001hk Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday November 8, 2017 Status Member Last seen November 9, 2017 - Nov 8, 2017 at 04:07 AM
PARKER-FIX Posts 19 Registration date Wednesday November 8, 2017 Status Member Last seen November 9, 2017 - Nov 9, 2017 at 05:10 PM
Hello,

I had a Dell XPS 15 notebook with GForce GT540M graphics card running windows 7 professional 64bit. When I power on the notebook, it won't kick off the Dell start up screen but instead had a loud hissing noise made by the fan and a black screen. I had to power on and off the computer for at least 10 times before the Dell start up screen kicks in but then when it starts windows, the screen turns black again this time without the fan noise. I had to power it off and on again till it goes to the normal windows "launch start up repair or start windows normally" screen and then press starts windows normally before windows can start properly. I had gone to the Dell website and update all my BIOS and drivers all over again as well as downloading Gforce latest drivers for GM540M graphics card but the situation is the same. I think it's the graphics card driver that had some conflict with the latest update of windows. Everything works fine prior to some windows update but as the windows update keep pilling on, it ended up like this. I also can't put my notebook to sleep or hibernation.
Related:

3 responses

PARKER-FIX Posts 19 Registration date Wednesday November 8, 2017 Status Member Last seen November 9, 2017
Nov 8, 2017 at 04:06 PM
hi.
i see. i had similar problem before mainly happens cause of problem in ram memory and windows error that happens to vital files that initiate the start up can be fixed with these way if nothing else has been damaged .

reformat windows with newer one or the same windows make sure your windows disc is original legit with activation code not a copy ( a copy tend to have issues or missing some files that's necessary to he system) format the windows and see if it works well. if yes then it was just a windows problem if not working probably will need a new ram memory installed to fix it.
akka2001hk Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday November 8, 2017 Status Member Last seen November 9, 2017
Nov 9, 2017 at 08:41 AM
I don't think it's the ram problem cause I ran diagnostics on all the system components and they checked out all right (at least according to Dell diagnostics). I think it may be a windows problem from your feedback cause the version right now is a copy from the net as I had to re-format my hard disc once because of a viral problem and Dell doesn't provide me with a windows discs as the computer comes with windows installed. As I say, the computer works fine up to a certain windows update ( I guess may be the copy from the net is missing some files which the update needs to perform proper start up and sleep). I can try to upgrade this to Windows 10 to see if the problem goes away
PARKER-FIX Posts 19 Registration date Wednesday November 8, 2017 Status Member Last seen November 9, 2017 > akka2001hk Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday November 8, 2017 Status Member Last seen November 9, 2017
Updated on Nov 9, 2017 at 05:14 PM
hi.
i see. i thought it was a windows problem, but wasn't sure since you didn't explain it more clearly, but yes there is many ways to solve this actually, so try these:

find information on your update and the files needed or requirements your windows must have in order to update correctly. like files needed.

even without disc provided, you can buy windows disc at shops and keep it with you, it's a must to have in order to avoid having unknown copies that may harm your system even more. a windows disc usually comes with all necessary files and latest updates as well, even if it miss the latest updates you can easily have it update online with no issues and it doesn't take long time at that. ( that's how i got my win10 working just fine in my dell laptop, woks okay with zero issues)

or you can manually download updates that work with your version of windows 32-bit or 64 bit, you can check your update version you have in window and see if there is another windows system update that must be installed before doing a normal update ( for example updating security files or other applications like update assistance or newer drivers and installation applications ) if some files are missing even when updating errors will appears.

i suggest you download all needed files for update then use update assistance if u still have issues with it.
Blocked Profile
Nov 8, 2017 at 04:13 PM
Formating a working computer is senseless! If it is booting, it is working!

Go into control panel and roll back updates. Also, make certain the MB is up to date with all of its stuff too, if you are updating BIOS and drivers and such. Start with the MB, and work outward.
PARKER-FIX Posts 19 Registration date Wednesday November 8, 2017 Status Member Last seen November 9, 2017
Nov 8, 2017 at 05:14 PM
i know this problem very well . i had the same problem with my pc last year it kept going like that for a few weeks, in my case i had both needed a newer memory and i formatted my pc it worked just fine.and his main issue here is the computer that keep turn on with black screen and he turn it off many times to get it start up,
i could give one good answer if i see the computer and check it, but problems like these can be hard to analyze with simple troubleshooting from just that info unless you have fixed this problem before,you will just keep them trying many things with no fix.
Blocked Profile
Nov 8, 2017 at 05:17 PM
I had the same issue with my drivers after moving to 10. I had to MB manufacturer website in order to get the latest and greatest, in order to place the WIN10Driver on top of that. Just sayin! Post back with results, Akka!
Nov 8, 2017 at 05:56 PM
i see. you have point. i installed win 10 in laptop i have a dell, but didn't take that long for me to update and i got no issues.