WD hard drive not recognised [Solved]

Ask a question Heather - Last answered on Nov 28, 2017 at 12:27 AM by nathanwirth
Hello,

I think my WD external hard is corrupted. It shows under safely remove hardware and doesn't show under my computer. Under disk management it shows but has no name. If I try right click and try to change disk letter that is greyed out. I have tried on another computer as well. Thanks for any advice
Helpful
+2
plus moins
Yes, it appears that you hard disk has failed and needs to be replaced.

Good Luck
Leave a comment
Helpful
+0
plus moins
It looks like there has been some kind of logical or perhaps firmware failure to the hard drive, hence why the disk management is not able to recognize the file system.

Here is what you can do:

1. Download some kind of free data recovery software if you are looking to recover some data from the hard drive. If it recovers something but restricts you from downloading the files, then you can proceed to purchasing the software and getting your files back.

2. If the data recovery software does not help, you may want to seek professional data recovery assistance. Do your research first though before you commit to a company. Last thing you want is to give your hard drive into the wrong hands.

3. If you are not looking to recover the data, and just want a working hard drive, you can proceed to Western Digital website and open up an RMA number for exchange. They should replace it for you at no charge. You will just have to cover up the shipping costs.

Good luck!

Leave a comment
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Hi,

I would recommend you to update the driver software of the drive. And then try to change the drive letter of the drive.

Hope after updating the driver software, you will be able to change the drive letter of drive and the drive start working perfectly.
Leave a comment

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?