DVD player play DVD several times, after 3 or 4 times it quits

Closed
Guysb Posts 3 Registration date Thursday November 23, 2017 Status Member Last seen November 24, 2017 - Updated on Nov 23, 2017 at 04:53 PM
 guysb - Nov 27, 2017 at 10:30 PM
I have an older Gateway notebook with a phillips dvd/cd player. I started having trouble with it so i bought a new one and installed it. It worked once or twice and began doing the same thing as the old one. (What it is doing) I insert a dvd or cd and it begins to try to play it several times, after 3 or 4 times it quits and will no longer try until i reinsert it. I did not use this laptop for several years and then one day I tried it again and it worked once then reverted back to the same issue. I have cleaned it 3 0r 4 times with no help ?????
Related:

3 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Nov 23, 2017 at 04:46 PM
Hello

Have you updated your driver?
Guysb Posts 3 Registration date Thursday November 23, 2017 Status Member Last seen November 24, 2017
Nov 24, 2017 at 08:59 AM
Yes I did. I down loaded driver support and it detected several outdated drivers and possibly one missing driver. It's been so long ago i don't remember all of the drivers it said were required. I updated what DS said was needed and it still didn't work. I noticed that when I click on computer in start, it doesn't list any files on the cd/dvd drive. ie i click on the dvd hardware icon and it opens up a window but no files.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Nov 24, 2017 at 04:18 PM
"updated what DS said" Who is DS?

What is your operating system?

It's normal that you should not see files when you click start.

You will not see any files unless you click on the drive letter and that you have a disk inserted. Can you do that?
When I click start and go to my computer, I've always seen the dvd drive but not anymore. that may be normal but i don't know why.
To answer your question yes i can see the dvd drive with a dvd in the drive. I click on the drive and a new window opens with a sub file for the dvd drive, but when I click on it, it disappears to indicate it's just displaying the drive. I don't know how to check anything to troubleshoot the problem. I have used the troubleshoot tool in the pc but nothing comes up wrong.