Logitech Z506 5.1 Speakers

Closed
Jim0457 Posts 3 Registration date Saturday December 2, 2017 Status Member Last seen December 2, 2017 - Updated on Dec 2, 2017 at 06:07 PM
Jim0457 Posts 3 Registration date Saturday December 2, 2017 Status Member Last seen December 2, 2017 - Dec 2, 2017 at 07:58 PM
Dear Forum Members:

I will try not to make this too difficult. I have posted help requests at other sites but no one seems to have an answer. I will try to be succinct, if that is possible given the problem.

2003 – Bought Dell computer & had Altec Lansing 4.1 speakers
2011 – Bought HP computer & continued to use same speakers with no problem

HP Computer – I believe it has two sound cards.
AMD Sound Card – Since I have an AMD processor, they used an AMD sound card for the computer’s onboard sound. I believe that is built into the motherboard and provides only minimal system sounds. No access via 3.5mm connectors in the back.
Realtek Sound Card – I believe this is the discrete unit that has available connectors in the back. (I am wrong about this. I most likely do not have a discrete sound card. The jacks in the back are bunched together in two rows of three each. This means the sound card is attached to the motherboard and is most likely the AMD sound card referred to above. That is the one to which the speaker wires are plugged into. I assume the Realtek software is just that ... software that can be used to configure speakers. I do not believe there is a Realtek sound card on my PC.)

2017 – Altec Lansing speakers finally died. I bought new Logitech Z506, 5.1 speakers. The system has excellent sound.

The Problem

The Given
First, I believe the speakers are correctly connected. The 5.1 sound test via Realtek HD Audio Manager gives me sound from all six sources.

The speaker wires are as follows
One green wire whose ends plug into the Sub and the back of my CPU (sound card).
One conjoined wire that contains one black wire and one orange wire that split at the end, each with its own 3.5mm connector. The back of the Sub labels these inputs as “6 Channel.” I plug the black and orange at the other end into the back of my CPU (sound card).
On my old speaker system, it had the green wire, of course.
However, instead of a combination black and orange wire, it had the green wire and the black wire coming out of the same hole, although they were not conjoined. But there was no orange wire at all.

The connection & the essence of the problem
If I connect only the green wire, I get volume from all six sources but lose all of my Quicken system sounds (beeps, alerts, pings, cash register sound when recording transactions, etc.).
If I then also connect the black & orange wires, I get all of my Quicken sounds back but lose sound in 4 of the 6 sources. In other words, I get sound only from the LF & RF speakers but lose it in the LR, RR, Center, & Sub.
All of my Windows system sounds are fine.

Troubleshooting Attempts
1) I have configured the system for 5.1 speakers via the Realtek HD Audio Manager plus, as mentioned above, I have run a sound check.
2) I have also configured the system for 5.1 speakers using Windows’ generic sound manager.
3) As suggested by another forum member at another site, I have checked my Quicken sounds in the Windows generic sound manager and they test fine.
4) I have checked and unchecked various speakers options in the Realtek HD Audio Manager but none of that works.

My Guess
1) I am guessing that the Realtek Sound Card, assuming that is the one with the available plug-ins in the back of my CPU, is configured for a 4.1 system or below, which is what I had, and that it is not configured for a 5.1 system. I don’t know how to check if my current sound card can handle a 5.1 system other than I’m not getting any sound when I use the “6 Channel” setup. Of course, it might be able to handle a 5.1 system and there is some other problem.
2) I am wondering if I were to go out and buy a “black only” wire to simulate what I had in my old system and plug that into the back of the Sub and into its corresponding opening on the back of my CPU, thus bypassing the black and orange setup of the Sub. It probably would not work but that shows you how little I know about all of this.
3) So I am thinking that the problem is either the sound card or a software setting in the Sound Control Panel.

Conclusion
So that is about it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can send pictures of the back of the Sub or my CPU, if necessary. If the sound card is the problem, I have found a Creative Sound Blaster 5.1 for about $35 but I don’t want to have it installed if that is not the problem. Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

Best regards,
Jim
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 2, 2017 at 06:46 PM
No you really do have a Realtek sound chip on the motherboard. The AMD sound chip is probably build into the Video Processor to supply sound via HDMI or DVI video cables.
Jim0457 Posts 3 Registration date Saturday December 2, 2017 Status Member Last seen December 2, 2017
Updated on Dec 2, 2017 at 07:33 PM
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my problem. I appreciate it.
I do not believe I have a Realtek sound chip on the motherboard. I believe I have an AMD sound chip or card on the motherboard. I did just a little more research after submitting the original post and I can now say that the jacks on the back are not coming from a PCI slot and have to be a part of the motherboard. I assume the ports are from an AMD chip since the system processor is AMD and my device manager shows and AMD device under the sound tab.
I do have a separate video card connected to my monitor via a DVI cable. The monitor has an HDMI port/jack and so does the CPU but I use the DVI cable that came with the system. The original video connections on the back of the CPU have bumpers on them so they cannot be used since I had the separate video card installed at purchase that takes up one of my PCI slots.
I do not what kind of AMD chip/card I have on the motherboard and whether is supports a 5.1 speaker system. I am guessing, but do not know, that whatever I have, it only supports a 4.1 speaker system or lower since the old system worked fine.
I hope this additional information makes sense. Please let me know if you have any additional thoughts or questions or would like to see a picture of anything.
Again, many thanks for your time.
Jim
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826 > Jim0457 Posts 3 Registration date Saturday December 2, 2017 Status Member Last seen December 2, 2017
Dec 2, 2017 at 07:51 PM
If you have the Realtek device driver then you have a Realtek device. Otherwise Windows would never have installed the driver. I suggest you go to the Realtek support site and read the instructions for configuring 5.1 sound. This interface can be found in the "Hardware and Sound" section of the "Control Panel".

Good Luck
Jim0457 Posts 3 Registration date Saturday December 2, 2017 Status Member Last seen December 2, 2017 > xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019
Dec 2, 2017 at 07:58 PM
PCMan:

This is what my Device Manager shows:

AMD High Definition Audio Device
Realtek High Definition Audio

I assumed that with AMD showing "Device" that that was the hardware on the motherboard. Any other thoughts?

Thanks.