UJ-850D doesn't work when CD is in

Closed
Marco - Dec 23, 2017 at 09:10 PM
 Marco - Dec 24, 2017 at 05:11 AM
Hello,
it's the first time I ask for help on CCM, but this problem is too strange.

I bought an external DVD player for my convertible Acer Aspire Switch 10. When I connect the DVD player to the computer, "UJ-850D" appears between the devices.

"Property:
Manufacturer - Not available
Model - UJ-850D
Model number - Not available
Categories - Optical unit
Description - Not available

Device status: The device works correctly

MATSHITA UJ-850D USB Device

Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver date: 06/21/2006
Driver version: 10.0.16299.15
Digital signature: Microsoft Windows"

Only "Driver Details" is clickable, everything else is gray. If I try to update the drivers from other ways, it says that the drivers are updated yet.

So far so normal, the problem is when I insert a cd/dvd.

The DVD player makes a strange noise, as if it started and turned off continuously (which it doesn't do on Mac OS). If I try to open E: from "My pc", there is a very long upload that ends with the disappearance of E:, then a warning appears saying: "The last USB device connected to the computer doesn't work and has not been recognized. Advice: Try to reconnect the device. If it is not recognized yet, it may not work properly".
Then "UJ-850D" disappears from the device list and in its place appears "Unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed)" with the yellow triangle. If I select "problem resolution", it says "impossible to identify the problem".
At this point I don't know what to do.

Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance,
Marco

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Dec 24, 2017 at 04:40 AM
Hello Marco,

There three series of Acer laptops with which your dvd player is not compatible; I believe that your Acer Aspire Switch 10 is among one of those three series.
Oh.. Damn. That's a problem.
Is this thing written anyway where I can read it? And, is there a way to make it compatible somehow?

Thank you for your reply.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169 > Marco
Dec 24, 2017 at 05:03 AM
Yes it's written somewhere, I have not invented it. I don't remember exactly where.

Make it compatible? I don't know but I doubt it as it is a hardware issue!

Sorry
Marco > Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023
Updated on Dec 24, 2017 at 05:12 AM
Obviously you haven't invented it! I was asking because the warning page can have other infos or suggestions. No problem, I'm googling for it.
Thank you anyway for the info and for your time.