HDD is getting power but not detected due to old os

Closed
Lilithskitty - Jan 21, 2018 at 07:54 AM
nathanwirth Posts 324 Registration date Thursday May 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2022 - Jan 30, 2018 at 01:29 AM
Hello. Both of my laptops have broken HDD connectors so I bought a USB data connector and now its here and I've tried to use my 2 hard drives with it but neither of them is detected in the bios. It is getting power and spinning but not detected. The hard drives them selves are not damaged and do work in another laptop with a working connector. The USB connector is connected properly. I am now on Kali Linux to try to find it so I can reformat it and save any files I can but it is not detected so I can't do that and I don't know what to do here. It is not a power issue and there is no way to get extra power as I've seen several answers to this topic about it. I need them to be detected. I am on 2 different versions of the dell inspiron laptops with sata hdd. Please help I would like to know how to even get it to show up in my Kali so I can format it and install windows again or Kali but if I could save any files that would be great.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,829
Jan 22, 2018 at 05:35 PM
some USB adapters have either 2 USB connectors or a provision for an external 5 volt power supply.

The USB port on most laptops do not have sufficient power to supply the necessary current for older hard drives. It's also possible that the BIOS is not able to see USB drives at all. You might want to check if the BIOS detects an standard flash drive.

Good Luck
the specific adapter i bought says it comes with no external power source and that the laptop will provide enough power. also it does detect usb drives thats the only reason im able to boot off of my kali linux live at the moment. it turns out as far as i know it is my laptop model that does not support external hard drives. i have 2 dell inspirons. one is a dell inspiron 3552 and the other is a dell inspiron 15 7572 or something. and it was not made to be that way on purpous. the only way ive seen people fix it is to not have their internal adapter broken to begin with and fix it in windows. but im not able to do that because i cant even use windows unless i was able to have it detect it.
nathanwirth Posts 324 Registration date Thursday May 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2022 28
Jan 30, 2018 at 01:29 AM
Hi,

It might be possible that the drive is not compatible with the system and it needs to be updated. I would recommend to check the drives in device manager and update the driver software of the drive to make them compatible with the system.

Hope it will help you...