Color Fill and Conditional Formatting

Closed
jmg999 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday February 8, 2018 Status Member Last seen February 10, 2018 - Updated on Feb 8, 2018 at 04:36 PM
 Blocked Profile - Feb 12, 2018 at 04:46 PM
Hi,

I'm running Excel 2013 on a Windows 7 Ultimate box, and I have a spreadsheet containing 14 columns and 253 rows. I've made one column, where I can enter a checkmark, so I know that the data in this particular row has been reviewed. I then highlight all 14 cells in the given row, and color fill them, so there's an easy visible in the work already accomplished. The problem is, this gets a bit tedious. What I'd like to implement is the idea, whereby I can simply select the row number from the left-hand column, select Fill Color, and have the color fill stop at column N. I looked online, and it appeared that some sort of conditional formatting might be able to accomplish this, but as I'm not well-versed Excel formatting, I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

As well, I also use this same spreadsheet on an iPad Air in Google Drive. I used to open it in Excel, utilizing a plugin, but it seemed a bit wonky, so I switched to Google Docs. The main problem I have is that if the spreadsheet is open, and I need to move to another application, say a web browser, I hit the Home button, which apparently auto-closes the spreadsheet. Does anyone know of a way to keep the spreadsheet active in the background, while maneuvering to another application? I realize that this is not necessarily the section for this question, but I thought that I would ask, regardless. I can always move it to the Mac forums.

Any help w/ either/both of these inquiries would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Jeff

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Feb 8, 2018 at 04:48 PM
Open a new tab in the browser!

As for condional formatting, see here:
https://ccm.net/forum/affich-910435-conditional-formating-formula-cell-text-change-color

Have FUN!
jmg999 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday February 8, 2018 Status Member Last seen February 10, 2018
Feb 9, 2018 at 01:19 AM
Hi ac3mark,

Thank you for your reply. There must be a bit of a misunderstanding regarding my Google Docs question. When I open Google Drive on my iPad, and I open the spreadsheet, it opens a Google spreadsheet document w/in Google Drive. It's not in a browser window. Therefore, if I hit the home button, it closes the spreadsheet, so when I go back to it, I have to re-open it each time. I'm trying to figure out a way to avoid closing it, when I have to switch between applications.

I checked out the link you'd provided, and I understand the directions, but I do not understand what formula I would have to put into the description box in order to achieve the result I want. I read some of the other links underneath the OP's post, and one of them seemed to point me in the right direction, but ultimately, it didn't meet my needs.

Let me see if I can explain what I want a little bit better...In this spreadsheet, I have data stretching from columns A through P and rows two through 443, where row one is a fixed header. The only column that does not contain data is column B. As the data is vetted, I type "ok" into column B. I then highlight the entire row from column A to column P, and I fill it w/ a light green color in order to easily see that this data has been validated. I hope this makes sense.

Jeff
Blocked Profile
Feb 9, 2018 at 04:51 PM
"checked out the link you'd provided, and I understand the directions, but I do not understand what formula I would have to put into the description box in order to achieve the result I want."

Any formula that returns true.

A1=5
B1 =4

Formatting formula:
=if(a1>B1,True)

If you set a format for green, that cell would be green. In the case of multiple formulas (i have nested 15 before), it is always the last True that wins. So if you are working with values, always inspect from Least to Most Significant.
jmg999 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday February 8, 2018 Status Member Last seen February 10, 2018
Feb 10, 2018 at 08:41 PM
I'm really not understanding what you're getting, as I've tried to explain, since I'm not at all familiar w/ Excel formulas. I appreciate the time you've put into this, so I thank you for that, but I'm going to try another forum.
Blocked Profile
Feb 12, 2018 at 04:46 PM
True = true

what is so tough?