Ask a question Report

Dvd tray keeps opening [Solved/Closed]

Rick - Latest answer on Dec 27, 2012 01:18AM
Hello,
My DVD tray keeps opening. It will not stay closed more than 5-6 seconds unless the drive is in use. I can still play DVDs, it will read any DVD like it should, the darn thing just will not stay closed. When the drive has no disk in it, it pops open like it would if it were waiting for a disk. Eventually, the tray itself is going to get snagged on someting and physically break off.. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Read more 
Answer
+51
moins plus
hi there,

its a hardware mechanic problem

you need to remove the drive

open the casing and clean the dust inside

Thanks

saeid- Feb 8, 2010 10:38AM
Dear Sir,

You are right the problem is a mechanical problem. But Where to clean? I did n't find it. The just problem I find is that these drives have a switch to detect opening and closing instead of detecting by motor current. This switch goes wrong very soon. Do you know any way to remove this switch from circuit like other drives?
gordonia- Feb 16, 2010 03:03PM
The grease on the dvd carriage rails gets hard
and cleaning this will help with problem
marcadizzle- Apr 8, 2010 07:04AM
i believe the problem to this is that when the computer starts up it seaches for vaild files to load the OS. in this case its windows xp. the computer is configured to search specific areas in order. i believe that your computer is cinfigured to look at the cd drive or dvd drive first. when this happens and there is no valid info for opening a os (windows xp) it tends to open up. this can be fixed by simply changing the order by which the computer looks for information the load the os. this can be done in the BIOS of the computer. many comuters have diffrent ways in accessing it and it is reccommended not to mess around with it if you dont know what you are doing.
na- Oct 3, 2012 08:05PM
BIOS trick worked - disabled booting from CDROM
Tech Kitty- Oct 8, 2012 11:36AM
I reseated the data cable on hte motherboard. Worked just fine after that.
Answer
+45
moins plus
I have the some problem, my dvd drive keeps opening and closing itself, I scanned using antivirus software,but no virus. the problem is a electronic circuit problem in the drive board, I changed the drive board,it cost me 3 $,
now my dvd drive works well.

Answer
+19
moins plus
I know this is an old post but maybe someone can get some use from it.
All you need to do is update your dvd drivers and it will fix the problem.
Thats what I did. Took care of the problem.

Answer
+12
moins plus
This is caused by a virus infection i will advise you to scan the whole pc system this can fix the error! Or may be there's a mechanic problem inside which open the tray when there's nothing inside!

Anepid- Dec 27, 2012 01:18AM
you are right markdizzle its the boot sequence problem, in some cases it might be hardware problem but most of it it is boot sequence problem .
Answer
+3
moins plus
One year ago, i got a iPhone4 and want to enjoy my DVDs on it, so i rip DVDs to my iPhone4, after all work is done, my DVD tray got problem, as your description my DVD tray keeps opening, i got puzzle..
So i go for help to my friend,and he told me update my dvd drivers and fix the problem.
Thats what I did
url deleted by a moderator

This document entitled « dvd tray keeps opening » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.