Pendrives slow writing speed

Closed
69Rixter Posts 48 Registration date Wednesday March 25, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 25, 2022 - Updated on Feb 18, 2018 at 04:59 AM
 Blocked Profile - May 14, 2018 at 05:09 PM
Evening:

I have a very strange flashdrive problem occurring. Just over a week ago, I noticed the 'write" speed on a Kingston DT101 16Gb 2.0 pendrive was less than half what it normally was. I went to the "net" and a few forums and after many attempts at repairing the drive, we concluded it was dying. I was resigned to that until yesterday when 2 other pendrives obtained the same anomaly. All 3 drives suddenly acting up in the same manner. NOPE! Something's amiss.

These drives are aprox. 2 y/o. 1y/o and 8mos. respectively. The Kingston is 2.0 and the others are 3.0. All have had "write" speeds significantly reduced and the Kingston is the worse. I transferred a file (360mb) today, just to "test" it and it started @ 268 kb/s and gradually rose to 1.6 mb/s. I have deleted/rebuilt it's partition, reformatted both quick and standard, run chkdisk, gparted, fsdsk and implemented some of their "repair"/fix tools. All drives have been run through virus/malware checks, file checks, and (Win7) comp>right-click device>properties>tools>error-checking; all tests claim drive are "healthy" and/or in proper working order.(???) Well, we know that can't be. OK,

So here's what I want to do;

#1. Identify and correct whatever is causing the drives to write so slowly

#2 Restore drive to original specs (hopefully). If you want to know what all I've done to the Kingston please request for it is an extensive list! Now, the specs: [Kingston DT101 2.0 16Gb~original write speed 5.8+Mb/s] Sandisk Cruzer 3.0 8Gb~ original write speed 14.5-18+Mb/s] [Sandisk Cruzer Glide 3.0 256Gb~original write speed 17-22+Mb/s] ((Dell Optiplex 9020-Intel i5)) ((MSWin 7 Enterprise)) The transfer out rates of all drives have not been affected(as far as I can tell). Has anyone even heard of such a problem?

Oh, those who want to say "the drives are toast, go get new ones" DON"T even reply to this thread. I, nor anyone else here needs/wants that ignorance.
Keep Pushin' On
Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Feb 19, 2018 at 03:03 PM
It doesnt't matter if the USB Stick is 3.0, and the port is 1.0, you are negotiating at 1.0 speeds.
69Rixter Posts 48 Registration date Wednesday March 25, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 25, 2022 3
May 12, 2018 at 08:58 PM
RE: ac3mark

And this reply is supposed to help?
Blocked Profile
May 14, 2018 at 05:09 PM
90 days later, I don't know, did it?