Auto populate data between Excel sheets

Solved/Closed
Excelerator663 Posts 6 Registration date Monday February 26, 2018 Status Member Last seen March 1, 2018 - Feb 26, 2018 at 11:17 AM
Excelerator663 Posts 6 Registration date Monday February 26, 2018 Status Member Last seen March 1, 2018 - Feb 28, 2018 at 08:54 AM
Have project management data that should be automated to populate from two Excel sheets to the desired Excel sheet. I was thinking that it could be A:

There are 3 workbooks: Project Master, Communications, Submittal

• Submittal needs info from Project Master and Communications
Goal--> as Project Manager (PM) types in the raw data to Project Master and Communications, data would auto populate in Submittal

or B:

• Macro that auto populates set selection of data into new Submittals created

We go through hundreds of these documents per year. Automating even part of the process would really speed things up overall.

Our PMs are so busy with meetings, client calls and other work that it's often difficult for them to stop each time they receive a new project and fill in the documents.

It would be wiser and more efficient if they were able to do so via auto populate or one-button macros.,

Filling in the data once and having it auto populate is a dream. Many times others have to wait days to obtain the completed Submittal before they can achieve their part of the operations process.

Someone had given the individual / singular cell formula of:

=+'[ProjectMasterSAMPLE]Order Entry Log'!D9

I was able to use that singularly to pull the data from the Project Master to the Submittal, but it was a one-time use, not really an automation. I'm looking for a one-punch solution, if there is one?

Any help on this would be invaluable. Thank you so much!
Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Feb 26, 2018 at 05:00 PM
Quit trying to USE a spreadsheet to control data! Use a DATABASE!

Build a table. Build a form that places the data into the table. Fill out the form. Report on the data! It is that simple!

You may have to pay for it, but that is the cost of doing business isn't it? If it saves your PM time for billable time, doesn't that seem worth the cost?

Excel is for calculations, you are storing values!

I will be more than happy to Script a Database in SQL for you, but you have have the license. Cost of doing business! BTW, as long as it doesn't get ported to multiple machines (like in a Datacenter) the license is FREE!

have FUN!

Yes, good news.
Excelerator663 Posts 6 Registration date Monday February 26, 2018 Status Member Last seen March 1, 2018
Feb 28, 2018 at 08:54 AM
Thank you so much. I don't have the authorization to hire anyone for scripting, but I'll pass this on to my superiors. :-)