Best security defense

Solved/Closed
Excelerator663 Posts 6 Registration date Monday February 26, 2018 Status Member Last seen March 1, 2018 - Updated on Mar 5, 2018 at 01:21 PM
Excelerator663 Posts 6 Registration date Monday February 26, 2018 Status Member Last seen March 1, 2018 - Mar 1, 2018 at 08:40 AM
Hello,

Hope there's someone who can help me determine which security defense software is the best for ensuring against hackers.

Previously had Kaspersky, but found that has backdoors. Recently, have had hackers going after my IP address and using up my data stream. Normally, use 350 GB per month, but when I receive messages from Mediacom that it's up in the 750 GB to 850 GB range, I know it's hackers.

How can I stop them? Are there any foolproof security defense programs that I can use?

Also, I believe it's the fault of the ISPs not making my Internet secure enough.

It shouldn't be that the FBI told me I can be charged for the nefarious acts of hackers because they're using my IP address? I don't know them, I'm not committing their crimes and I'm certainly not benefitting from it, so I don't want to take the blame for it.

What I do want is to nip in the bud somehow.

Anyone have any suggestions? Kaspersky is Russian and Bit Defender is Romanian - are there any UK, CAN or US that I can use / trust? Or is it really just calling the FBI Cyber Crime Unit and Mediacom's techs?

Thank you :-)

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 26, 2018 at 04:39 PM
Your ISP is located in Amsterdam !

Why fear prosecution from the FBI?
Excelerator663 Posts 6 Registration date Monday February 26, 2018 Status Member Last seen March 1, 2018
Feb 28, 2018 at 08:56 AM
Thank you so much :-) My work IP is from Europe, but my home IP is local and that's actually the one they're using, but I hope to have that fixed today :-)
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Feb 26, 2018 at 04:52 PM
Hi

I believe that Kaspersky is an excellent anti virus system. All antivirus programmes have back doors.

Most often hackers, pirates and viruses gain access to a computer through the fault of the user, downloading malware. An antivirus programme will not prevent you from downloading what you want.

I suggest that you computer is infected. If you wish for me to tell you what is infected, what is the malware and how to disinfect your machine, let me know. But I would keep on with Kaspersky. That's I have been using for years.

Ambucias
CCM Moderator and Virus/Security Contributor
Excelerator663 Posts 6 Registration date Monday February 26, 2018 Status Member Last seen March 1, 2018
Feb 28, 2018 at 09:01 AM
Excellent news!

Yes, after researching, they have been touted as having backdoors, but sounds like I'll get back with Kaspersky because they did keep the digi-wolves at bay.

Thank you for helping me with the decision because I haven't found any others that work, it had just been suggested that since they were from Russia it might be questionable.

My only other question to you might be about the time added it makes when I add Kaspersky. Slowed my boot up from 3 minutes to 10 minutes and that's pretty annoying if you have a mid-session reboot.

Or do you think I have some malware that's causing the slow down? It went back to 3 minutes after I took Kaspersky out, but the hackers came back to my IP through Mediacom this month.

Guess it's a little Catch-22 - do you want a slow boot up / re-boot or do you want hackers LOL.

Again, thanks and I hope you have a wonderful day!
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170 > Excelerator663 Posts 6 Registration date Monday February 26, 2018 Status Member Last seen March 1, 2018
Feb 28, 2018 at 04:22 PM
Yes. Kaspersky is Russian, but it's an excellent antivirus. They have a reputation to maintain, so they must make sure they sell a quality product.

As I told you, if you wish for me to analyse your system for malware, safely and risk free, let me know. Often, a slow computer is caused by adware and trojan horses. (Trojans hack)
Mar 1, 2018 at 08:40 AM
Thank you for all your help.