Computer shuts down in some games.

Closed
jenren0308 Posts 2 Registration date Friday March 2, 2018 Status Member Last seen March 6, 2018 - Mar 2, 2018 at 10:47 AM
jenren0308 Posts 2 Registration date Friday March 2, 2018 Status Member Last seen March 6, 2018 - Mar 6, 2018 at 09:47 AM
I got a brand new Dell Optiplex 7040 minitower from another country. I was able to play older games with it without problems such as the 1st witcher.

I replaced the videocard with a geforce gtx 1050ti 4gb to play newer games. My PSU at this time was the one that came with the pc which is 190W. This time, I can play newer games with significantly better graphics i.e. Tales of Berseria, Breath of the Wild, World of Final Fantasy. But when I try to play other games which I think is more "graphics-intensive" like witcher 2, rise of the tomb raider, total war, my pc would shut down as soon as I get control of my character. I tried opening witcher 1 again (which was previously problem-free) but my pc now shuts down too. I figured that this might be due to the fact that my PSU isn't enough for the 1050ti GPU I installed. So, I bought a corsair 450W. However, the same thing is still happening. Is this really due to insufficient power or another thing entirely?

My specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 @3.40GHz
RAM: 8 GB
GPU: geforce gtx 1050ti 4gb
PSU: corsair 450W

Also, I tried monitoring my computer temperature but there seems to be no problem with it. Temperature does not go more than 60 C. I also tried running GPU stress test Furmark and no problems come up.

Your help is greatly appreciated. I'm just about at the end of my wits here. Thank you!
Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Mar 2, 2018 at 02:44 PM
OK now that you have abigger PSU, get a couple more fans to blow across the MB, specifically the Graphics card! Also, Set the Graphics resolution DOWN on each game to see if it plays longer. If it does (as you have not made the game so geraphic intensive), then you know it is getting hot! MORE FANS MORE FANS! They have cool LED ones now!!
jenren0308 Posts 2 Registration date Friday March 2, 2018 Status Member Last seen March 6, 2018
Mar 6, 2018 at 09:47 AM
I tried placing the resolution to the lowest setting and this still happens. :(

I'm not an expert but if this is due to the gpu being hot, how come I can play other games for hours on end? Also, this happens even if I just booted my pc.