Find and replace from a dropdown

Solved/Closed
DG83 Posts 38 Registration date Monday January 2, 2012 Status Member Last seen April 21, 2018 - Updated on Mar 18, 2018 at 06:13 AM
DG83 Posts 38 Registration date Monday January 2, 2012 Status Member Last seen April 21, 2018 - Mar 19, 2018 at 01:24 PM
hi Guys,

second and hopefully last question for now. Is there a way to the following:
I have a dropdown list with names of tabs of the excel file and have a table on the same tab with data in it linked to the currently set name from the dropdown. I would like excel to do the following, when choosing another name from the dropdown (name of other tab) I would like that excel does a find and replace on this tab so that the data in my table now become linked to this newly selected tab from the dropdown.
Example, in tab 1 I have data linked to tab 2 (dropdown set to 2) From the dropdown in Tab 1 I would like to select 3 and have the data become linked to tab 3 instead of tab 2.
Do you think it is possible or is there an easier way perhaps? I now I could just do a find and replace without having to go through a dropdown, however the people using this file may not even know how to do that:)

thanks you a lot!

2 responses

TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Mar 19, 2018 at 12:21 PM
Hi DG83,

What do you mean by linking data? Do you mean a copy/paste action?

Are your sheets named Tab 1, Tab 2, Tab 3, etc.?

What is the location of the dropdown list?
What is the location of the value you want to look up?
What is the range where that value can be found?
What needs to be done when that value has been found?

Hard to help without this info.

Best regards,
Trowa
DG83 Posts 38 Registration date Monday January 2, 2012 Status Member Last seen April 21, 2018
Mar 19, 2018 at 01:24 PM
Hi Trowa,

I have resolved this by creating a button and assigning a find and replace code to it. I was basically needing to replace the link to tab 2 to tab 3 in the first tab of the file.

Thanks for coming back though. Will close this as resolved.

Thanks and have a great week