Start button and task bar gone after new vide

Solved/Closed
boonie - Jun 5, 2009 at 01:32 PM
 bev - Jul 14, 2017 at 03:52 AM
Hello,
I had to reinstall my video card, so I removed it, restarted deleted all files necessary, restarted, ran my virus,spyware,malware, etc programs. turned off the computer, installed the video card and restarted the computer. start button and task bar was still visible. ran the video card software, no problems. everything was in 600x800 format so I changed it to 1024x768 screen and the start button and task bar disappeared. I do not know how to bring that back up. Any help will be helpful. I have the windows xp home edition operating system on a compaque computer. thank you.
Related:

2 responses

Thanks, tried that did not do anything. But I was thinking a bit this morning and I really feel lika an jerk because I didn't think of this before. I went into the control panel, system, hardware, device manager, and under display adapters it showed the video card and the intel graphics controller that was installed in the computer itself. I turned off the intel graphics controller so the radeon video card was the only graphics controller running, and pop up came the start button and task bar.
of course no where in the installation instruction it tells you to turn off any other graphic controllers that may be running.

thank you for your help, much appreciated.
Thank you - I was not able to see my task bar after installing a new graphics card, nothing worked until I went in and disabled my old card. Simple - but took my hours to figure out after reading your post - THANK YOU.
not tech savvy
May 15, 2010 at 05:04 PM
I had the same problem and the same solution. Thank you for posting this to help us non tech-savvy computer users
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
May 15, 2010 at 05:10 PM
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

As I say, to make a better world, past it on to the next.

Regards
dumber than dumb
Aug 29, 2010 at 08:12 AM
i had the same problem and the above solution resolved it.
however, i could not access the control panel as the start button was missing.
this is how i did it:
press ctrl+alt+delete keys at the same time to open task manager.
press the "new task" button on the bottom right.
type "control" in the "open: " box.
click ok.
thanks to everyone.
-dumberthandumb
brilliant, after going through hundreds of remedies this one worked! great stuff.
"I went into the control panel, system, hardware, device manager, and under display adapters it showed the video card and the intel graphics controller that was installed in the computer itself. I turned off the intel graphics controller so the radeon video card was the only graphics controller running, and pop up came the start button and task bar. "
Press CTRL + ALT + DEL at the same time. Select File > New Task (Run...) Then type explorer.exe.

Cheers,
Unemployed Techie