Ask a question Report

Shift key typing wrong sign [Solved/Closed]

denise - Latest answer on Dec 2, 2012 03:38PM
Hello,
i re formated my computer and now the shift keys won,t ype the at sign in my email address as this is a laptop it not as simple as just going getting a new keyboard help!!!! the shift works for the other keys so it can,t be broken
Read more 
Answer
+191
moins plus
dude i have had the same problem since I got my laptop. very frustrating...
the @ symbol and the quote symbol were swapped...
to make matters worse I was getting european characters with key combos.
after months of ignoring it I finally tracked it down.

try this.. control panel -> regional and language options -> languages -> details
first try 'key settings' and untick the boxes to swap between keyboards.

but that wasn't enough for me it still kept changing keyboard layouts!
(what the hell, what stupid shortcuts microsoft, don't you know Ctrl-shift is
often used to select text, and at least it would be nice to turn it off.)

so I simply removed US-International and UK keyboards leaving just "US"...
and hey presto I have a normal keyboard layout FINALLY. jeez. crazy.

hope that works for ya. if not check out sticky keys, or i read somewhere else
to try pressing left and right shift with Alt...? didn't do anything for me but.

sheng- Nov 11, 2012 01:28AM
i tried all the suggestions above and still it wont work on my netbook....;
jinks- Nov 13, 2012 01:36AM
Thank you so much!!! it worked for me too :) you saved my time
old lady- Nov 15, 2012 12:36PM
My hero, you saved me lol. Seriously, many thanks.
marx- Nov 17, 2012 06:48PM
you make it so complicated. if you hit "caps lock" "SHIFT" and "ctrl" all at the same time it alters your keyboard settings. just hold all three again and its fixed. (also if other symbols are still wrong try repeating till its back to normal. the quotation marks also switch up)
jen- Dec 2, 2012 03:38PM
Thank you so much. That helped me so much would I have done without you. I probably would have made it even worse
Answer
+177
moins plus
Press the Left ALT key and shift simultaneously

Answer
+56
moins plus
I HAD THAT SAME PROBLEM NO NEED TO WORRY ITS EASY FIRST PRESS ALT KEY ON THE LEFT OF THE KEYBOARD THEN THE RIGHT ALT KEY ON THE RIGHT OF THE KEYBOARD THEN YOU PRESS THE SHIFT KEY AND THE AT KEY ALL THIS IS DONE WITH ALL 4 KEYS PRESSED IN FOR ABOUT 5 TO 10 SECONDS YOU SHOULD HEAR A BEEP FROM YOUR KEYBOARD AND PRESTO THERE YOU HAVE IT PROBLEM SOLVED

Answer
+22
moins plus
HI there,
My name is nav and i have a simple solution for your problem.
Just follow my instructions and you should be fine

1) click on start
2) go to control panel
3) click on region and language option (note if you are using windows vista or windows 7 click on classic view to get region and language option)
4) click on keyboard and languages tab
5) click on change keyboard option
6) add your country and select choose your country.
click ok.

or if you dont want to do all theses step
press shift and 2 this should give you @ sign if you live in uk
press shift and ' this should give you @ sign if you live in us

preetie- May 7, 2010 11:52AM
thanx a lot ..u solved my prob shift and 2 works for me cheers
Tarun- May 19, 2010 01:53PM
Hey Majick u r gre8 thanks it worked for me
Answer
+13
moins plus
Just like to say 'Thanks' as I had the reverse: I had the US keyboard config when I needed the UK one. The trouble I had finding where Yanks keep their '@'

Mike- Dec 1, 2009 05:50PM
Thanks for the tips. I am using Windows 7, and somehow hit ctrl and shift at the same time. Did it again and everything is back to normal.
eileen- Jan 4, 2010 12:42PM
THANK YOU! I've read and tried everyone elses suggestions and nothing was working. When I saw your post and saw that you had window 7 I was thrilled. I tried the Shift and Control keys at the same time and IT WORKS. Thank you so much for the info. I was beginning to think I was going crazy!
Wendy- Jun 8, 2010 11:42PM
thanks this has been a big pain in the ass for weeks.....now i got it to work...thanks oh so much

Wendy
SD- Nov 11, 2012 08:37PM
Thanks for the tip. Worked out 2nd try.
Answer
+8
moins plus
Pressing the left side Alt+Shift buttons worked for me;

In control panel -> region and language -> keyboards and languages tab -> click on the change keyboards button -> advanced key settings tab ->
(I'm running windows 7 btw so it might not be exact)

It should say stuff about hot keys for input languages, and it will tell you the languages present on your computer and the key combo to switch between languages

Oh, and you can also change the shortcut for switching keyboard language buttons (in the advanced key settings tab).

Answer
+7
moins plus
thanks this worked perfectly

Answer
+7
moins plus
I have had this problem from time to time (Windows 7, Explorer) but it always occurs when I am trying to add my e-mail address to online customer information forms (e.g., technical support forms). No matter what key combinations I press, I sometimes just can't get the "@" symbol to appear (usually a " appears instead). Every time this happens, the only solution to date has been to to close the form, exit the form and the Web-site, enter the site again, and re-enter the data. It's a bit of a pain, but on the second try, it always works. I believe this problem lies with the Web-site's form, not with my keyboard or software.

Answer
+6
moins plus
hi,
there may be a problem with that particular key.
or check if you have installed the correct driver utility for the computer.
go to the oficial website of the company to get the drivers.

neetoo- Feb 6, 2010 10:14AM
When I press shift key and 2 it type a wrong sign " instead of @. Please solve this problem.
Answer
+6
moins plus
holy snap. that solved m\y problem dude!!! thanx alot. internet FTW!!!

Answer
+3
moins plus
Still works, thanks mate!

This document entitled « shift key typing wrong sign » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.