My laptop is very laggy

Closed
Abdelhamidrafiq - Dec 10, 2018 at 11:55 AM
 Blocked Profile - Dec 17, 2018 at 04:53 PM
Hello,
I have an asus i5 windows 7 64bit laptop with a radeon hd 6370m 1gb graphics card
I just bought this laptop used and found out that it’s graphics card driver is missing so i went ahead and installed it
The problem is the laptop started lagging and even freezing for quite a bit of time
Even opening chrome or the control panel takes an absurd amount of time
I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what to do

System Configuration: iPhone / Safari 12.0
Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Dec 10, 2018 at 05:11 PM
Try this: Open a CMD prompt, and run SFC /scannow

Try that first. It will place missing files back into the OS!
Abdelhamidrafiq
Dec 10, 2018 at 06:51 PM
I did the scan
It definitely reduced the lag but it’s still there and there’s still lagging but definitely not as bad as before
Ty
At least now we know all of the system files are intact. Now, lets look at the available space on your hard drive. Limited hard drive space can produce lag. How much free space do you have left on the drive?

Post back, and we will get this machine back to its normal speed!

Where are you at ASHOK?
I have close to 600 gb of space and around 97 gb of that is used
Also my cpu performance whenever i check on it is never above 50% but im not sure if it’s even important and it may or may not go above it when im doing something demanding but idk
What do you think of it
Blocked Profile
Dec 14, 2018 at 03:56 PM
Yea definitely enough space. Have you installed any FREE software?
Abdelhamidrafiq
Dec 14, 2018 at 08:28 PM
Not really or at least not intentionally
Although i don’t find anything unusual in my installed software
Also can the problem be coming from my gpu because the catalyst that i downloaded from the Asus site keeps crashing and the other ones which seem more recent and are from the gpus manufacturer site make my screen go dim as in my screen backlight doesn’t work
Blocked Profile
Dec 11, 2018 at 01:05 AM
Try following steps, if following does not works you can format your pc/laptop:
1. Disk CleanUp(to remove temporary files)
2. Disk Defragmentation(anlalyze first if it shows at least 8% or more then defragment it).
3. Run CCleaner(download, install and then run)
4. type "msconfig" in run command without quotes
click on "STARTUP" and then "UNCHECK" not required "startup item" and then click apply and then ok after that you will see a dialog box asking you to "exit without restart" and "restart".Choose restart to apply changes.