Being scammed

Closed
Blocked Profile - Updated on Sep 6, 2019 at 08:14 PM
 Blocked Profile - Sep 16, 2019 at 04:43 AM
1 How does anyone know if they might be getting scammed by an individual, or an organization?

2 Does being told to do something, or perform an extra action not relating to the issue; would that be a clue?

3 What about being told you have a credit card fraud problem when you aren't aware that you even have a credit card?

4 Will Microsoft ever call me to discuss my anti-virus?

5 Should I allow a remote technician access to my desktop?

6 Is the help desk technicians job pay ever based on whether they can convert a google play card?

7 Should I go ahead and agree to a lower credit card interest rate, then give my credit card and expiration date to the person who called me, just to see if I qualified for a lower rate?

8 Do credit monitoring services call me to tell me that they found a lower credit card interest?

9 Do credit monitoring services care that much about my credit line, and interest rate?

10 Should I need to keep a google play card, or best buy card on hand because my virus problem might pop up at any time?

11 What if my screen looks like this and I have been told my pc needs fixed?

I am curious! Thank you!

2 responses

HelpiOS Posts 14307 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 19, 2024 1,891
Updated on Sep 13, 2019 at 07:13 PM
1. It's not always easy to know that. But you can pay attention to the sound in the background during the call. If you hear many people, it is possible that it is an organization.

2. Inconsistencies and unrelated requests with the problem are very good clues to suspect a scam. Also, if you are asked about your credit card numbers there's no doubt, it's a scam!

3. Just tell them that you don't have a credit card and maybe they'll tell you about another fraud problem.

4. Microsoft will never call you to discuss your antivirus, or even for anything else. If you don't call the support, it will never come to you.

5. If it is a trusted remote technician, you can allow it to access your desktop. But if you have doubts, it is better to be guided and do the manipulations by yourself. Be careful, however, with the instructions given by the technician.

6. To my mind, they're supposed to be paid to solve computer problems!

7. No, never give out your credit card information even if it's just to see if you're qualified to a lower rate. Might as well not be qualified!

8/9. I don't think the credit monitoring services will call you for that kind of thing, unless they're scams...

10. "Offering" Google Play cards to technicians is [not recommended] optional, even if they request them. Pop-ups just need to be closed to remove the "fake" problem without even calling the displayed phone number!

11. Say that your computer is working well and that you don't want it to be destroyed by them.

Blocked Profile
Sep 13, 2019 at 06:42 PM
If you are on option 11 and your computer looks like that, they have already gained access to your pc! GET HELP from a local technician.
I pray for the day "Microsoft Support" call to fix my "PC" *cough* Macbook.