Backup

Closed
thegunz - Sep 7, 2019 at 01:31 PM
 Blocked Profile - Sep 13, 2019 at 06:12 PM
I have an old laptop with Windows Vista that is blue screening anywhere between 10-20 minutes after booting and wanting to backup files to an external hard drive. In normal mode the option of backing up is there but not when i go to regular safe mode! What are my options??

Many Thanks
Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Sep 7, 2019 at 02:44 PM
Are you trying to preserve the machine state, and operating system, or just some files?
Just trying to save files.
Boot into normal mode, and attach the drive. Manually copy and save the files to the drive.

Or, you can use ROBOCOPY from a CMD prompt with admin privileges. The syntax for ROBOCOPY is as follows:
robocopy <Source> <Destination> [<File>[ ...]] [<Options>]

So, lets say your USB Drive when plugged in, turns into [F] drive.

You want to copy your Pictures folder. The path to your picture folder is [C:\Users\User\Pictures]

Plug your drive in. Verify it is F. Open a command prompt with admin privileges, and type in:

ROBOCOPY C:\Users\User\Pictures\ F:\ *.* /s /z /mov

Explanation:
/s = Copies subdirectories. Note that this option excludes empty directories.
/z = Copies files in restartable mode. Restartable is the key here. So if it crashes, the disk is set as recoverable, and you should be able to issue the same command again, and it will finish the crashed file transfer!
/move = Moves files, and deletes them from the source after they are copied. Eliminating the need to re-index the files upon crashes, and determine what has been moved, and what hasn't.

You can also do something like:
SET Source=C:\Users\User\Pictures\
SET Dest=F:\
Set SourceFiles=*.*
ROBOCOPY %Source% %Dest% %SourceFiles% /s /z /mov

Open a notepad, copy and paste the above code into it. Save it as, All file types *.* and name it COPYPictures.bat

Now, open up the folder location where you saved the above file. Now open an elevated command prompt. Drag the BAT file into the command window and hit enter.

Let us know if you have any questions concerning, THERE are plenty of PRO's around here that will answer any questions you may have. Any of our pros can help out with this!

Am I wrong, group? We can do more than just Social Media, and write reviews about outdated software, Right?

Have FUN!
I'm lost with CMD prompt with admin privileges and how to get there. Sorry for being so illiterate on all this!!

Thanks
Blocked Profile
Sep 8, 2019 at 02:45 PM
Hit the windws key, type cmd when a list appears right click over command prompt and select run as admin.
Done. Now in a window with C:/ Windows/system 32 and a box below with "Enter char to copy up to:

Where should I go from here?
Thx, Clyde
Blocked Profile
Sep 13, 2019 at 05:39 PM
Ok type in
ROBOCOPY C:\pictures F:\ *.* /s /z /mov

This will copy everyrhing from the c:\pictures folder to the f drive. Once it is copied it will be removed from the source.

Please reread my solution post for an understanding of what is happening.