Ask a question Report

Toshiba Laptop doesn't start up. Black screen [Solved/Closed]

curseten 4Posts Friday July 3, 2009Registration date August 17, 2009 Last seen - Latest answer on Oct 24, 2012 04:09PM
My Toshiba Satellite A205 with Windows Vista Basic has stopped working. I try to start it up, but all it gives me is the beginning TOSHIBA/Phoenix logo loading screen and for the windows loading screen it only gives me the little loading bar at the bottom. The windows logo does not show at all. After those two load up, it goes to a black screen and just completely stops loading. The hard drive stops working as in the light doesnt blip anymore and it just stays at a back-lit black screen. I can sort of hear the fan going, but it stops after a while.
I left it on over night thinking maybe it was loading something, but still after that it was just at the black screen. Hopefully nothing is wrong with the hard drive. I kinda read around and people said it's probably related to the video card? Also, the first time this happened it gave me the option to go into safemode, but instead I just held the power button down to restart it. It no longer gives me the option to start up normally or in safemode. It doesn't show the screen at all. Thanks for reading and I hope there is a solutuion to this problem. My one year warranty from Toshiba ran out, a couple days ago actually >:(, but I have a two year warranty from the store I bought the laptop from... but no reciept.
Read more 

moins plus
It seems that this problem is with the power settings... strangely. You do not need to re-install windows or anything crazy like that.

Here are the fix steps:
1. Turn off your computer
2. Disconnect every wire from it (including power)
3. Disconnect the battery from the bottom of the computer. There will be two tabs labeled 1 and 2.
4. Re-plug in the power wire. (the battery should not be in the computer)
5. Turn on the power. The screen will work. Choose start windows normally. (if you get that screen)
6. Go to Control Panel -> (Mobile PC) -> Power Options -> Under Balanced choose change plan settings
7. Choose Change advanced power settings
8. Find Processor power management and change the minimum processor state from 5% to 100% for each On battery and Plugged in.
9. Click Apply then OK
10. Shut down you computer.
11. Disconnect the power cord.
12. Re-install the battery on the bottom of the laptop, plug in the power cord, and restart the computer.

You should be good to go.

Caitlin- Jun 22, 2010 07:21AM
Thanks Brian this helped completely and quickly for my mum's laptop!
hanneman- Apr 21, 2011 05:20AM
thanks Brian, what a relieve!
marygg- Apr 23, 2011 02:44PM
Thank you so much.
hanneman- Apr 25, 2011 03:51AM
download update of Bios with Toshiba TEMPRO. run the program and all is fixed. be aware that the settings for wireless internet are lost (so keep your WEP-code at hand).
Germonde- Oct 8, 2012 08:40AM
Hi Brian, Many thanks or the tip. My wife's Tosh locked after she'd let the battery run out. I followed your instructions to the letter and all is now good again. Brilliant!
moins plus
The same thing happened to me and I'll tell you what I did to fix it...

When I was greeted with the black screen, I thought maybe CTRL+ALT+DEL would work and sure enough, it did! In the Task Manager under the Processes tab, I noticed that none of the processes were currently running except Task Manager, obviously. So what I did was cancel the explorer.exe process and rerun it from the New Task... option at the bottom right of the screen of the Applications tab. And it will open up a Create New Task pop-up screen where you will type explorer.exe and press ENTER.

Give it some time. I had to wait about 30 sec to 1 min for the computer to boot up normally and everything was fine until the computer is restarted, so at this point it's a workaround but it still needs to be fixed. (FYI: I used CHKDSK to fix and repair any issues with the HDD prior to what I've mentioned above but it did NOT prevent this problem!)

Once the OS is up and everything seems to be working, except Networking and WiFi which is down, you will need to use System Restore to restore to an earlier point in time before you were having these issues. So hopefully you have a fairly recent restore point you can go to that won't delete too many things on your HDD. And as you have witnessed at this point, the contents of your HDD remain in tact so it's not an issue of the HDD corrupting.

Right-click on the HDD or Computer and select Advanced system settings on the left-hand portion of the screen and it will open up a System Properties window. Click on the System Protection tab and then click on the System Restore button to restore to an earlier date and time hopefully before this problem plagued you.

In this manner I was able to avert the finality of either repairing the computer in another painstaking way or returning it to the manufacturer for service. As far as trying to surmise what occurred to make this happen, I can only deduce that I was using the Monitor Out feature to send the video feed to an LCD monitor before this happened as well as encountering a virus that I thought my antivirus program caught. I don't know if any of these events had anything to do with this irritating issue but I believe it's worth mentioning just in case others have encountered the same.

moins plus
Hi, I'm having the same problem so if anyone can help I'd be grateful. I have a Toshiba netbook NB205.

When I turn on the power button, the screen goes as far as the Windows XP loading screen..but after that it remains a blank/white screen. This is actually my second time that happened with my current laptop though. For the first time, which was about a few months ago, I tried the "take out battery/power cord, hold power button for few seconds, and plug it back in" method. It worked and I was able to use my laptop again. However, two days ago, the same thing happened. Blank screen on startup. I can still see the BIOS and all. So for this second time, I tried the same method. But it doesn't work anymore. The screen stays blank/white.

I tried doing all safe modes and last known good configuration but nothing. Laptop is still unresponsive.
The fans doesn't seem to be working either since I don't hear them. Even if it is, it's really quiet that I can barely hear it.

Is there a way to fix this? I've also tried toggling the Fn+F5 keys, removing and replacing RAMS, and such but none of seems to be working.

If I can't fix it, I wish I can restore my computer at this point but since it's a netbook, it does not have a CD/DVD drive. Even if it did, it didn't come with a recovery disk when I purchased it. I hear there's a way that I can install windows or linux by a flashdrive...but I'm not sure how to do it. How do I also backup my files if I even can't boot up the computer?

Sorry, I'm such a newbie at this. This is my first laptop and my first experience at this sort of problem.

User- Oct 15, 2012 12:45AM
I had the same problem and I fixed it by updating the BIOS. You need to go to the Toshiba website and look for a BIOS update for your NB205.
moins plus
when i turn my toshiba laptop l500 1xm on it says in a bar at the bottom of the screen press f12 what does this mean and how do i get rid of the bar i have a recovery disc but dont no how to use it,

moins plus
if anyone else has the black screen, white pointer, nothing works BUT black screen and white pointer, in any boot mode, u probably need a hard drive. You CAN get your restore disks to work though! If you cant access the options on the recovery disc, use an ubuntu live disk(free just make one, had one layin around), choose the install option. It formatted the drive and when it was done i rebooted with my recovery disk in and i can finally access all the(or any for that matter) options on the disk. Hope this helps? oh yeah toshiba sattelite 200gb hitachi drive

bsodsux- Jun 18, 2010 11:08PM
my disc won't work at all
moins plus
wow i cant believe that's all i had to do. thank you so much brian you computer god you.

moins plus
I have no idea. I haven't gone into the store that I got my warranty from because it is not near where I live. It seems either Toshiba had faulty hardware and knew about it, or something bad is going on with every single laptop of this model all at the end of their warranties. We should investigate this. If anyone has found out anything about this can you please reply back to let the rest of us know what's going on?

moins plus
For all of you guys here that replied to this, I figured out the problem is Window's fault, not Toshiba's. Something gets corrupt in the boot-up files, but all your files on your hard drive are still safe. All you guys will need to do is re-install Windows onto your system. But you need to back up your files.

Since you guys can't access your hard drive to back it up with Windows, use a program called Puppy Linux. It runs off of just a disk and leaves nothing on your hard drive! Once you get into Puppy, you can access all of your files there and back them up onto a thumb drive or other USB storage device. You can even burn a disk with puppy and access the internet. It also has other cool little applications. I know it will take a while with small sized thumb drives, but I think its still worth it if it means saving your files. is the link to Puppy Linux. Give it a try, it really works. Some people even use Puppy just because its faster and easier than Windows. Don't get the latest 4.2.1 Puppy though, because it doesn't have wifi support for the internet. Instead, get just 4.2

I hope this helps all you guys here with this problem.

pinxs- Jan 26, 2010 12:18AM
How do I even start backing up my files or installing linux when it won't even power up? Please help. Thanks.
toshdont work- Jan 28, 2010 10:12PM
hey i tried reinstalling windows just like u said, i had to do it for the third time in a it dont work at starts up but takes five minutes just to load the start up, it wont update from the interent and my security wont turn on and it wont install anything ...not even an eraser program to erase the computer... can someone please tell me how to format my computer totally even erase its completely blank, i was never given a recovery disk it wont let me even make the recovery disks to begin with wont make restore points, the compiter just shuts down when i try to do those takes forever to load anything ...this has been going on for almost a year, i've already spent 200 smackers on this piece of sh**... i really need some advise here what to do with it..its an 1800 dollar laptop and hasnt begun to pay itself off yet...i keep having problems with it it worked amazingly the first year i had it then everything just went downhill.....oh and btw my fan stopped working too...PLEASE HELP
Kurayami- Apr 5, 2010 10:51AM
Your fan is not working because it has overheated, which causes the other problems. Get the fan replaced, as for the screeen. Unplug everything from it, take out the battery; checking it is cool and there is no foreign material. Check the laptop part the battery plugs into as well. If all is well, replace the battery into the laptop and turn on, it should work if not, you must get it sent to be fixed. Moral of the story is, don't waste 1800 dollars on a laptop when you can get them for 1/4 of that price.
Dida- Jun 26, 2010 12:58PM
Thanks a lot this is a genius solution and it works perfectly, this is the first time i said this is the solution for this nightmare, thanks again.
MIKEHUNT007- Oct 24, 2012 04:09PM
Hi i had the same problem. I tryed everythink but could not get it to load so i removerd the battery for two min and then replaced it and it then loaded windows form.
moins plus
I have the same problem: black or red screen. For me the diffrence is, the fact that everything works out just fine as long as my laptop's screen its not connected.If its not connected then it work out just fine, all normal. So I am starting to be pretty sure it is my inverter or the main cable that connects my laptop to my screen. So I am pretty sure I will go buy new ones and see what happens.Will let you guys know.

First of all: always try conecting your computer to another screen. If it works then you know it is not your video card or anything else inside it and the problem it is probably related to the monitor. From what I know 40% of the time it is the RAM or the battery problem wich are easly fixed with the pressing power button trick wich you can find in here in other posts. The other 40% are usually the Invertor! the backlights, or the main cable of the monitor.Other problems left in the 20% cathegory would be: take out your graphic memory, the one that it is near the computer processor and looks alot like it and check its pins.If they touch eachoter or are crooked use something with hot air (like a hair dryer) for about 60 seconds directly on it, after you take it out and they will go back to there normal position( this is just a quick fix!).
In my case I do belive it is my monitor inverter! or the main cable of my monitor.
PS: A laptop invertor it is pretty cheap and you can buy it online. Alot more cheapper then it wold be to buy a new Lcd screen.
Will continue this after I will change my invertor and my cable and see what happens.
Thank you very much for your time, hope this will help.
May we all get our "babies" back! ;)

moins plus
I didn't really read all the posts as I was in hurry to tell you all what I found out about this problem.
I had the same problem on Toshiba Satellite laptop running with Windows XP. After I realized the battery is nearly dead, I continued using the computer just like before, connected constantly to the main power supply. But after a while it started showing a black screen right after startup and it sometimes took hours to start working. After consulting with people that have experienced similar symptoms with their computers, I was pretty much convinced that the hard drive was gone and decided to change the HDD as soon as possible.
Just like on startup, the computer was sometimes stalling on shutdown as well. In an occasion when holding the power button wasn't enough to shut down the computer, I was going to remove the battery and the power supply in order to shut it down. Just as I removed the battery from the back of the laptop, it started functioning normally. I retried removing the battery every time the machine stalled, and I got the same result every single time. The moment I remove the battery, the computer starts working again.

moins plus
If you guys need help, this is how I did it:

I first BACKED UP my files to an external hard drive using Puppy Linux (

Booted up the computer and pressed and held down F12 (boot)
Inserted the Toshiba recovery disc (there should be a disc one and two).
Selected CD/DVD from boot menu
Went to Toshiba recovery wizard
I then went to the second option (format/delete everything off of hard drive)
Restarted the computer
Re-loaded the disc
Selected Toshiba recovery wizard
Selected the first option
The wizard began and all I had to do was wait until it told me to insert disc two and it did it's job from there.

I hope this helps all you guys.

shan10 5Posts Sunday December 6, 2009Registration date December 7, 2009 Last seen - Dec 7, 2009 05:04PM
A.Drunk.Baby, Hey there.....Did you ever fix your problem with your computer? My Toshiba Satellite laptop started this thing Sat night. My hubby was on it (I think he tried to delete some history or something and HAS NO IDEA about computers, I was told he opened a spam email and the probs started......This is what happens when I start the computer
I tried taking the battery out & tried to follow your steps given however all I get is a black screen......Sometimes the windows boot manager screen will come up and if I choose Microsoft Windows Vista all I get is a black blank screen if I tab down to the tools section and choose Ramdisk Device Options I get a screen that reads windows is loading files the directs me to a screen that reads "windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer. This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart you computer."

My husband was the last to use the computer so not sure what he did although he says he checked a "spam" email and then the problems started.

Any suggestions? I am using a crappy EMachine and want my Toshiba back!

Fepe- Nov 16, 2009 04:54AM
i am replying to your toshiba problem,my toshiba will not boot it goes to the first loading screen in the beginning, the one that says f 2 or f 12 stuff,well it will do that n go to a black screen with a underscore in the top left corner blinking.i have tried to use the recovery and applications/drivers cd for the laptop wen i got it but it will not work i know u r suppoused to push f 12 in the begining then go to cd/dvd drive thing and i do,i push enter on it then it goes back to the same screen ,black backround with a underscore in white blinking in the top left corner of the screen.i have heard that it could b something wrong with the motherboard or the graphics card,and can b fixed with a certian part in a digital camera,but i am no com i was asking for your help if u know of an eiser solution,or if my laptop is even worth saving?
artysta- Feb 1, 2010 05:02PM
u need a new hard drive, buy one, insert it, and run the instalation disk that came with your computer, or load whatever you want.
HubertH- Jun 7, 2010 11:25PM
Thanks for the PuppyLinux tip, it saved my entire photo library and two years of graduate school work.
bsodsux- Jun 18, 2010 10:38PM
how can I back up my pictures on Linux I'm thinking my hard drive is fried because I get no further than the F8 options and I've tried every single option on both screens NOTHING works I am wanting to wipe the whole hard drive and if that doesn't work start over with a new one can someone PLEASE tell me how to get my pictures from Vista onto puppy so I can use a thumb drive for back up
moins plus
Hi all - same problems with my A300 last night - it was running hot, and the fan noise was annoying me, so i turned down the power settings to "Power Saver". Then things started going wrong with USB ports at first, nothing recognised, etc. I shrugged it off and then turned off the computer for the night. This morning - black screen of death on boot up, no hard drive activity, etc. Occiasionally made it to the bios screen but that didn't seem to help. Removed the RAM and put it back, all to no avail.

What did work however was a bit weird. I tried rebooting with a USB hard drive connected, and after a few attempts it worked! Still with major problems - only half the RAM recognised, no usb ports working, no fingerprint logon, blah. So I kept it running for a while, changed the power setting back to balanced, ran a virus check (negative), backed up my files, ran a diagnostic (passed with flying colours depsite the fact that half the systems didn't work :)) and checked the disk, and now... running like a dream again.

For most of you, this problem is probabably something to do with power settings. If you can't get past the black sceen try giving it a bit of a jolt by plugging something into the USB ports. You never know, it might just work.

Just have to hope that this doesn't come back...

Angie- Apr 17, 2010 02:15AM
My laptops been broken for ages now, but after reading your post I decided to try plugging in my external harddrive before powering on and whaddaya know - the screen came on!!!! Still not fixed as it won't boot up but at least it's askin me I I want to system restore etc. Weird!!!
moins plus
Also, yu have to erase your hard drive and redo the disc that came with computer. If worse comes to worse, you can do that after doing a back full back up. Yhe disc will erase everything and prompts you and then add your back up using restore back-up on windows later, but I believe it will work if you hold down the off switch & remove the battery. It is a pain holding down the key & siunds outlandish, but it works like a charn.

I had other problems beyond that later & just redoing the factory disc solved that, but my computer was blinking furiously & a defect built in with Vista. Plus you get al the free games again trial.

moins plus
Hey, guys!
I have tried almost everything I have read on this post and all I can imagine... The screen disappears every time after switching PC on. I erased HD, got new Win XP to install, but I cannot get that far as the screen just isn't there. Can anyone help me out with this?
Best regards, Mikky

Alec- Nov 11, 2009 10:35PM
Mickey sounds like your having driver issues or your monitor refresh rate is set incorrectly.
This occurs when you attach a flat panettone monitor to a pc that isn't set to work with that particular monitor.
Or when the pc your using doesn't have the proper drivers for the monitor your using.
I'm assuming the computer is running but you can't see anything?
What happens when you boot in Safe Mode?
Mikky- Nov 12, 2009 05:26PM
Hi! I cannot even get to SafeMode as the screen blanks out as soon the Toshiba logo comes on. I can see the screen for 2sec Everytime I switch pc on.
No other monitors were attached, the pc was working while listening to internet radio and then it just blanked out! So far no good! :(
moins plus
Try removing RAM for a second and put it back. This worked for me.
Gud luck

Mikky- Nov 12, 2009 06:19PM
Removing and switching RAM was the first thing I tried, but seems that isn't the case this time.
moins plus
You know ,better to download the new version of Windows 7 or buy Toshiba extended warranty 69 dollar and use it. This will solve the maximum problem

moins plus
thats dume i dont know how to erase my master password

moins plus
This worked for us too! Thanx for figuring it out!

moins plus
Mine did the exact same thing today! Let me know what you figure out! Said to try to start it by inserting disk, which I don't have. Then we tried in safe-mode, still nothing, now we don't even get the option to try safe mode.

moins plus
I have the same issue too happened exactly 1 month after warranty is up any help?

This document entitled « Toshiba Laptop doesn't start up. Black screen » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.