Ask a question Report

My computer doesn't recognize my ipod [Solved/Closed]

bunny lover - Latest answer on Nov 30, 2014 03:03PM
Hello,
one day when my ipod ran out of battery and i connected it to my computer but it didn't show up and it still charged so i connected it to my macbook and it showed up. The next day i spent $50 worth of songs on my computer but my ipod doesn't connect so i can't add them on and i'm afraid that if i uninstall itunes then that money will go to waste what can i do??
Read more 
Answer
+968
moins plus
I KNOW THE SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
its not the computer its the ipod
hold down the menu and the center buutton for about 15 second and that reboots it (dont worry you'll keep all your files and then plug it into the computer again, it should turn on!

Bucky- Nov 17, 2014 05:19PM
LOL ... this worked for my iPod Touch, 5th generation. Lucy, you are a legend, or should be.
serbanos- Nov 19, 2014 08:54AM
ths. its work
biga- Nov 22, 2014 08:06AM
whats the menu
Mary- Nov 24, 2014 01:31PM
Thank you Lucy!
it`s me- Nov 30, 2014 03:03PM
thank you very much!
Answer
+156
moins plus
There's many reason why those two doesn't seem to work. But thanks to Kioskea.net, I was able to find you the answers.

1. Your computer or iTunes is not to blame. Blame your iPod.
Hold your menu button down for about 15 seconds, let it reboot, and plug it back it in to your computer again, your computer should then recongnize your iPod.

If the first option doesn't work, here's my second option:

2. Plug in your iPod, and put it into Disk Mode. Hold the menu button, and let it reboot (Don't forget to leave it plugged in)
Now in your computer, go to your Control Panel. In your Control Panel, open System and click the Hardware tab. Once there click Device Manager. Find Universal Serial Bus Control, right- click Apple Mobile Device USB Driver and uninstall it. (If if's not installed with iTunes, get it)
If all these doesn't work, I guess you could just pray and unplug and plug your iPod.

Hope this helps!!!

Mike- Oct 22, 2012 02:17PM
thank you so much! that totally solved my problem
william- Nov 27, 2014 01:49AM
hey thanks i know this is an old post but it still happens thnx ur the only thing that worked
SarahV- Nov 28, 2014 03:46PM
Another new user here - Mike's advice re USB control worked for me. Tried all the solutions Apple offered but this wasn't one of them. Thanks Mike, whoever you are!
andyjackson 2Posts Friday November 28, 2014Registration date November 28, 2014 Last seen - Nov 28, 2014 10:08PM
I have an ] touch 2 gen, and my computer ALWAYS recognizes it as a Digital Camera . I have tried every one of your steps, but the problem is that when I look for the "Apple" file in program files, it isn't there.
Answer
+70
moins plus
just do what i luv aveyond said to do

bunny lover- Sep 21, 2009 12:42AM
it works!
amby- Oct 12, 2009 03:50PM
what can i do to make the laptop and itunes recognize the ipod???
apple user- Nov 1, 2012 07:24PM
my computer doesn't recognize my iPod.
I have iTunes. But iTunes in't even working.
It says something about the apple application support and about the ituneshelper.

i went to an apple store and they said it is cause i installed the latest version of itunes.
but now my computer(windows 7) wont recognize my ipod AT ALL!
Answer
+70
moins plus
IVE HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR AGES WITH MY NANO, APPLE SUPPORT DIDNT HELP.
GO TO DEVICE MANAGEMENT WHILST YOUR IPOD IS CONNECTED, DISABLE IPOD USB CONNECTION. AFTER THIS, GO TO ADD HARDWARE AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS.
SORTED

Jes- Apr 22, 2010 10:48AM
THAnk YOU soooooo much
Jenn- May 3, 2010 02:35PM
Thank you soooo freaking much!!
Thatgirl- Jun 19, 2010 09:28AM
How do you get to device management?
watermelon57@gmail.com
jrog- Jun 21, 2010 03:34PM
thanks a bunch
Shady Hollow- Jun 26, 2010 11:06AM
That was my first action... but it says in need a disk! I dont have a disk!
Answer
+65
moins plus
I had the exact same problem as everyone who mentioned that they took all of the advice given from reinstalling iTunes to uninstalling drivers and all the other junk. My problem was (and is) my cord. I couldn't figure out the problem for WEEKS until (just now) when I started to pull out my cord and noticed that suddenly my iPod was recognized and unrecognized just as quickly. I tested it again and discovered that when I attached it, I couldn't hook it up completely to where it snapped into place or the iPod would just charge and not get recognized or sync. Basically I need to buy a new cord. Unfortunately, I took the advice of others and uninstalled a USB port...now I can't reinstall the main one. That's a whole other list of issues for another day.

So, to anyone who's tried uninstalling and reinstalling things, a word of advice, CHECK YOUR CORD FIRST.

Answer
+60
moins plus
I just got a new PC laptop and my ipod isn't being recognized. I have re-installed itunes, restarted the computer, done updates, restarted the ipod, even put it in disk mode, but nothing has worked. The USB drive is fine because I can hear a ping when i plug it in and take it out. The ipod will charge, but it is as if the computer doesn't know it is there. The ipod works just fine on my other PC and will sync. Can anyone tell me what i am missing here? Is there something other than itunes that I need in order for the computer to know what to do with the ipod?

Answer
+55
moins plus
linds, I have exactly the same problem..... I hear the ping and it charges but itunes doesn't recognize it. I see my ipod in my computer though, so i don't know why itunes won't recognize it....

Answer
+42
moins plus
hi can you please help meeeee!!!! when ever i plug my ipod in it says when itunes comes up it says "an ipod has been detected but it could not be identified properly, please disconnect and try again" i would keep trying and it wont work, i reset it and it still wont work , i downloaded the new itunes and it still wont work!!! i just keep getting that same message!

Answer
+33
moins plus
Hi
im having the same problem when i connect my ipod to my pc it doesnt load my ipod

it has only just started happining

Answer
+29
moins plus
hi,

update the version of iTunes that you are using then connect the iPod.

this should fix the problem.

lachy- Apr 15, 2010 06:54AM
dadaaadum you got a dodgy ipod then i think, mine has never messed up once until now and ive had it for 8 months. none of my friends ones have every broken either, maybe once.
h8nmyipod- Jun 21, 2010 08:53AM
if you're on windows you can right click on my computer and then manage devices.
EA- Nov 4, 2012 06:10PM
if u use the same apple id u can download it from your phone
wagonee- Nov 17, 2012 02:00PM
this happened to me as well nd i dont know what to do please heellppppp:(
lamont- Dec 14, 2012 08:15PM
did that and still doesnt work trust me i thought about that too and updated my ipod touch on wifi
Answer
+28
moins plus
i have an ipod touch,
the same thing happens,
when it gets plugged in,
it says a camera device,
i have installed and updated,
nothing works,
can aanyone help?
thanksss,

ssspecialagent- Apr 5, 2010 03:21PM
I have been trying to set up an iPod Touch for 5 days now, the last of some major problems was the pc installing the iPod as a camera and itunes not recognising it at all. David's instructions worked instantly. Can't tell you what a relief it is as it is my daughter's birthday tomorrow and this was the last night of sitting in front of the computer trying to get it to work properly. My husband was ready to throw it in the bin (I expect he still will if anything else goes wrong with it). Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!
Jodi- Apr 18, 2010 06:30PM
David! What if when you go to find Apple...you have nothing anywhere? I tried what you said...it's like my computer has no idea I even plugged in my iPod? (nano 5th generation) My ports are fine it acknowledges everything else I plug in and I bought a new usb. But on both my home PC and my laptop theres no response?!?!?!?
eddie- Jun 3, 2010 11:10AM
same with me
DianaDai- Dec 27, 2012 02:06AM
I did everything you said David, but while browsing through files I got to Mobile Device Support and there was nothing under that with the word Drivers in it. I already went the other way through Device Manager as well to update drivers, and it said the most recent drivers for this were already installed. It STILL doesn't show up on my Computer, however, and I am at a loss. I should mention I have the Ipod touch, and run it on Windows 7. I also can't for the life of me download itunes because of an error reading:
There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

I believe i've tried everything, except- obviously- the one thing that will work- whatever that might be. I was able to successfully remove all Apple programs from my system and reboot, and tried installing itunes again to no avail. If anyone has any ideas as to what I can do to fix this, I'd be much obliged. I'm done wasting days and shedding tears over this malarky 0.0 Thanks!
HOLYREDFANG- Nov 17, 2014 02:58AM
omg thank you david total; life saver
Answer
+23
moins plus
hi, im having a similar problem, just that my iTunes recognizes my iPod but when I go to My PC my iPod drive is not shown.

Ami- Jun 18, 2010 08:55PM
Kailu, I could kiss you right now. Thanks!
Ami- Jun 18, 2010 08:57PM
PlayThatTune did you try the digg? My ipod was doing the same thing and it's now restoring. I'm so happy. I was afraid I'd broken it.
me(:- Jun 28, 2010 02:32AM
@ Ami, what digg? i'm getting the same problem as he is
lamont- Dec 14, 2012 08:13PM
tried it and the website doesnt come up
andyjackson 2Posts Friday November 28, 2014Registration date November 28, 2014 Last seen - Nov 28, 2014 10:11PM
@iamont same here
Answer
+16
moins plus
This just started for me out of the blue. I've been using my nano on this laptop for over a year and all of a sudden there is no recognition whatsoever. I updated iTunes, rebooted the iPod and nothing. The only thing I can think of is that windows recently updated a bunch of stuff. I don't know what else has changed since the last time I had it plugged in.

Not sure at all what to do....I've done the 5 R's.

kammi elle- Mar 22, 2010 02:16AM
i am so in the same boat, i have used my pc and my nano for years and years theohter day i updated my itunes, it was fine, all worked fine and then today i went to change my play list and it wont recognise my ipod at all......its doing my head in!
Taz- Jun 7, 2010 11:07AM
That's exactly what mine's doing!!! :(
Answer
+16
moins plus
Hi, I had this problem also. It would not show up on iTunes or windows explorer. I tried the select/menu reset to no avail. Then I tried disk management under the computer management in control panel. The partition didn't have a name or letter but it did show the memory, however it wouldn't let me assign a letter either. Next I found the device in the device manager under disk drives and I disabled then reenabled and still didn't work. By now I was pulling my hair out and ready to give up. I had one more try and looked further down the list in storage volumes and there it was disabled. I reenabled it and everything is fine now. I didn't expect to see the ipod listed as a devce and a storage volume but there it was. Hope this helps someone else..

Answer
+16
moins plus
hey,my name is Eddie
a couple days ago i got an i touch 8GB and i cant download any music why is that it says it doesn't recognize it can somebody contact me i need help my email is eddiearguelles43@yahoo.com

Answer
+14
moins plus
Hello ,

Somebody help on this issue. The new Ishuffle does not get recognized. I tried it on my windows XP 32 bit, I tried it on my laptop windows7 64 bit. It simply does not get recognized as an USB device.

pmore- Mar 9, 2010 02:24PM
try using a different usb cable. same thing happened to me and all that happened was my cable shorted out. moved back and forth between 3 computers and it just wouldn't recognize. very frustrating. hope this helps
ALB- Oct 30, 2012 04:08PM
you are a genius. I have spent hours trying to figure this out. Got a new cable and it works!!! I could kiss you!!!
Haley- Nov 5, 2012 06:37PM
I've tried two different cables with no success. They've both worked fine before, this issue has only recently started happening for me.
lamont- Dec 14, 2012 08:17PM
its not my usb cable because i can charge on the wall but it wont even show as charging on my laptop
Answer
+8
moins plus
this Problem Happened to me as well. i tryed a differnt usb port on my HP computer it worked!! try it on your mac. good luck.

Merritt- Jun 15, 2010 11:52AM
this works :)
rapol- Jun 23, 2010 08:50AM
this helped me too !!!! YES!! thx
Answer
+8
moins plus
Put all your purchased songs on a flashdrive, unistall iTunes, if your songs don't appear on iTunes you'll have all the songs on the flashdrive.

Answer
+8
moins plus
maybe you should try deleting all of 3rd party apps and rebooting

Answer
+6
moins plus
If you uninstall iTunes you won't loose your music.

1 2 3 Next
This document entitled « my computer doesn't recognize my ipod » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.