Solution / Fix
Problem: Windows Live Messenger Won't Start / Load / Launch / Open
I have this problem for a few weeks. Tried everything suggested by everyone who managed to fix their problems. None worked. I tried uninstall and reinstall but to no avail. Somehow if you upgrade it to the latest version, the problem solved.
I was desperate so I decided to go with an older version. Somehow my problem was solved. I can't guarantee it would work for you though.
1. Uninstall everything related to WLM from Control Panel
2. Download an old version from one of these sites (if you are the super-paranoid type and concern virus, try downloading it from Microsoft if it is still available):
MSN Messenger 8.5.1235 (19.4 MB) from http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=msnm
Other sites where you can find old versions of software
3. Install the old version, but it won't work as Microsoft would insist you upgrade to the latest version.
4. Go with it. When the installation is done, WLM is back to normal.
5. I must add that my original problematic WLM was the traditional Chinese version, and when I upgraded/reinstalled I chose the standard English version. My windows is an XP SP2 Traditonal Chinese version.
So good luck to you all and hope that your end of frustration is in sight!