Ask a question Report

My computer will not wake from hibernate mode [Solved/Closed]

packrat47 - Latest answer on Oct 27, 2012 04:51PM
Hello,
Hi, last night my dear husband was looking on the internet at cars (as usual) and while I was in the shower he managed to put our HP zd7030us laptop into hibernate mode. I have done everything to make it wake up and NOTHING. There are no lights on the front and when I press the power button the icon on the front blinks but no other lights are on. It looks like it is dead. Ha
He is not familiar with a computer but knows how to look at sites that have cars on them so it has never been a problem for him to open what he is used to and then shut down the computer but last night he had to hit the hibernate button but does not know what he did.
I have removed the battery, held the power button and read online for any help I can get but nothing works. What can I do? HELP anyone.Thanks so much.
Read more 
Answer
+91
moins plus
I don't think it's in hibernation. I would try this trick:
Disconnect the power cord and pull out the battery. Then press down the power button for a least 30 seconds. Then reinsert the battery and reconnect the power cord and start the laptop normally. This "hard reset" might fix your problem.

Good Luck

Xexoytf- Nov 5, 2010 06:15PM
Awesome. worked great.

Thanks...
Lupe- Feb 8, 2011 08:24PM
I was having the same problem and this solution worked. thank you very much.
GB- Apr 20, 2011 04:02PM
had same problem - did the hard reset - and laptop came back on - thanks!
ap- May 22, 2011 06:54PM
This helped me out thanks so much
Bandit3999- Oct 27, 2012 04:51PM
Thanks it hepled me too.
Answer
+11
moins plus
This is all related to battery power. Likely the laptop went into hibernation mode when it reached critical battery power. If you fall asleep you won't notice anything unusual! But the computer went to sleep in a certain 'state'. Before messing with battery and hard drives charge the laptop up fully, then in same 'state' i.e. on battery power (now full), sticks in (if they were), and wireless on/off, etc. If laptop in same state as it was when it stopped working it should start up again ok.

Answer
+9
moins plus
I had the same problem. I was looking at my child and accidentally hit the hibernation mode. I thought I really done a number on it. After seeing some of the post on here I just knew I would never get it started back up. I read several hints on here and put a couple together. I'd just like to say thank you for the post being here for me to read (AND UNLIKE SOME SITES I DID NOT HAVE TO HAVE MY VISA ON HAND) I would like to share experience so maybe I can help someone like the people on this site helped me! Again thank you!

I took the battery out, unplugged the ac adapter and also unplugged the adapter from the wall, pressed down the power button and counted to fifteen, left the battery out, after ten minutes I plugged the ac adapter back into the wall and computer (leaving the battery out), as soon as I hit the power it came back on! It did shut down and restart. After the computer completely rebooted I put the battery back in and unplugged ac adapter from the computer. No problems since!

Thank you to everyone on this site. This site and all of you R totally are awesome!!!!

nasmoore- Jun 10, 2010 01:31AM
thats xactly what mine is doing been a great note book 4 5 years never had a problem just need 2 know if i need a cord or battery im gonna lazarus it and hope it works thanx
Answer
+6
moins plus
Try those steip again but don't insert the battery yet. Try to run it using the power adapter first.

packrat47- Sep 8, 2009 09:09AM
Good morning and thanks for the help. I got my laptop back up and running and this is how I did it. I do not know much about computers and especially not about taking them apart or repairing them. After 6 weeks of the laptop not coming on and me getting more frustrated that it was "dead" I decided to just take off the back panel and take out the hard drive, I don't know why I would think I needed to do this but it just felt good. HA.
I figured the thing was "dead" anyway so what did I have to lose? So I took it out and looked at it and put it back in the machine screwed on the panel and tried to turn it on but still nothing. I just put it away and after a couple of weeks of it just sitting in my case I plugged it in and pushed the power button and "OMG" it came back on.
I could hear a funny "sound" of some sort that sounded like music, salsa or hip hop music to be exact. I looked at my husband and said "what the heck did you do to this machine."
So what had happened was he was looking at YouTube and videos of "Gasser Geezers" which are videos of old hot rod cars and they ususally have a sound track like hip hop or that young kinda music running in the background, so he left that program running (thinking he closed it ) and then went down to the start button and hit "hibernate" instead of shut down computer and did not shut down the program and close everything out. His email program was running also! In his haste to close the computer he did it wrong. My husband is 62 by the way not old or stupid but not good with computers for sure.
So my theory is that when I took out the hard drive it might have cleared something or re-set something?? I have no solid evidence except that my wonderful old computer which looks like new is back alive. I call it "Lazarus" who also arose from the dead in the Bible....
The reason I told this story is that my experience might help someone else who has had this happen. Once my computer came alive again I just closed the programs that were open and ran a virus scan and now he is enjoying it again. If he "kills" it again I will be prepared...
Brett- Oct 16, 2009 11:35PM
Tried the "Hard reset" and it worked for me... but then shut off again before I was able to turn anything off. Tried it agian (several times) and it didn't work at all. Any more suggestions?
Brownstudy- Feb 24, 2011 04:16AM
I didn't notice that laptop shutdown had failed. Battery ran down, computer beeped furiously and would not re-start. Succeeded with this "very hard reset" i.e. remove battery and re-start on power without battery. Then switch all off, replace battery and resume. Very grateful for help.
Answer
+5
moins plus
I was watching a video on my laptop xp and it went int
hibernating mode and wont turn on have tried everything
what should i do , it has been a few day. please help.

Answer
+3
moins plus
Omg thank you soooooo much. My mom and dad almost bought a new computer lol this works for computers too. Just hold it down for a minute to be sure. Ur a savior, god bless you

Answer
+2
moins plus
Hi, thanks for the info. I have been gone all week but wanted to let you know I tried your suggestion and truly appreciate your help but it still does not come on. The power light blinks when plugged in but the hard drive light does not light up. I think he really killed it......

This document entitled « My computer will not wake from hibernate mode » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.