Ask a question Report

Computer starts then shuts down immediately [Solved/Closed]

hawksauce - Latest answer on Mar 17, 2013 02:06AM
My other computer is starting then shutting down within two to three seconds after starting and shows no signs of even having time to try and boot.
Any ideas what's going on?
Read more 

moins plus
I've just fixed the same problem on 2 (!!!) boxes

1. Reset BIOS by take out/put back a battery
2. Replaced case start button (not power supply). You can check it by doing the following:

a. Open computer and find a wire that goes from a case start button to motherboard.
b. Power on the computer and pull out the wire that you found in step 'a'
c. The computer starts up

DaddyG- Mar 9, 2010 09:46AM
Thanks for the battery tip... it worked perfectly. My pc would start then stop then restart, but not post. Removed the battery, put it back in, then was able to get to desktop. This all happened after putting pc to sleep then trying to restart.
frosty- Jun 17, 2010 10:47AM didn't work what did i do wrong
nobody- Jun 21, 2010 03:09PM
thank you for helping me reset bios.
Khaja- Mar 17, 2013 02:06AM
Sometime componenet failures also cause the problem. In my case I had CD-ROM issue, it was not working properly, I removed power and data cable. It starts working normally.
moins plus
There isn't enough time to boot it into safe mode. It doesn't send any info to my monitor at all. It also continues doing this when it has the hard drive unplugged so i doubt it's a virus.
Thank you any way :)

moins plus
You have a virus my friend.

What i would like you to do is boot the PC into safe mode...
When that has been done, type in msconfig and go to startup tab
If there is an application that should not be there disable it
Run a spyware scanner if you currently have one/Virus scanner

The virus script is the most simplest script that just frustrates people

If the above does not work. follow this path

Start menu
type in: regedit

In the Run folder has all programs that start up on startup... if there is one that should not fit, right click and delete the entry.

patriots21 8Posts Tuesday August 10, 2010Registration date August 20, 2010 Last seen - Aug 10, 2010 06:57AM
he can't even get to the mode selection screen, much less get to safe mode.
keicee- Dec 11, 2012 07:20AM
.wat if it didn't even go to the desktop?...
moins plus
I am not able to get into the safe mode nor use the F11 key or del,alt ctrl do you know of any sites that I could download any free soft ware that I could copy on to a disc and try getting into the operating systems.

This document entitled « Computer starts then shuts down immediately » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.