How to install windows xp via pen drive

Solved/Closed
pen card Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday July 2, 2008 Status Member Last seen July 4, 2008 - Jul 4, 2008 at 12:20 AM
 usman - Dec 12, 2012 at 02:34 PM
Hello,
dear sir
how to install windows xp in HDD via pen drive
plz. send the detail my e-mail id
Email Id removed for security
Related:

39 responses

closeup22 Posts 8923 Registration date Friday May 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 7, 2010 2,099
Nov 27, 2009 at 08:42 AM
hi there,

the instructions on link below to install from usb pendrive:

https://ccm.net/computing/windows/843-create-a-bootable-usb-drive/

Thanks
kioskeaji Posts 4 Registration date Saturday March 6, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 31, 2010
Mar 20, 2010 at 06:57 PM
Hi All,

In addition to the highly successful, problem free, and tried method using Hiren's Boot CD (as described in my previous post here at http://ccm.net/forum/affich-12733-how-to-install-windows-xp-via-pen-

drive?page=3#179
), and among the methods which are not always reliable, and those that I do not prefer, I have come across another easy (and faster) option to install XP from pen drive. I thought I should share it with others.

Just download these:
1. Windows XP USB Edition from http://www.dl4all.com/software/133338-windows-xp-usb-edition-boot-windows-from-usb-stick.html or directly from http://rapidshare.com/files/341342852/Windows_XP_USB_Edition_-_Boot_Windows_From_USB_Stick.rar.html

2. USB Format Tool from https://www.hiren.info/downloads/freeware-tools/.

and follow the instructions given below.

Step-by-step Instructions:
1. Plug in your USB Flash Drive.
2. Backup your data contained in it.
3. Unzip the downloaded file no. 2 (usb_format.zip) and run usb_format.exe to format your flash drive using USB_Format.exe as explained in step 4.
4. a) Choose Device to format (in case multiple flash drives are currently attached to the system)
b) Choose file system
(i) FAT16 - most compatible with different hardware, but if your flash drive is

more than 2GB, it will not work)
(ii) FAT32 - choose this if pen drive is more than 2GB
(iii) NTFS - if u like experimentation, as all pen drives may not support NTFS
5. Check the format option: Quick format (optional).
Leave others unchecked. If u choose NTFS file format, "Enable Compression" option is also

available. (I have been personally using NTFS formatting on one of my pen drives which allows NTFS

format, with compression enabled option, without any problem. But I have read that although using

NTFS improves speed, the flash drive may wear out more quickly)

6. Click on Start button.
7. Click Yes when prompted to format.
8. Wait for the format operation to complete successfully.
9. Close USB Format Tool.
10. Run LiveXP.bat. Live-USB Installer script is launched.
11. Enter 1 as choice. When prompted for LiveXP source files, type the path to the INSTALLDIR

folder found in this LiveXP package.(e.g. E:\sw\Windows.XP.USB.Ed\INSTALLDIR)
12. Next, enter 2 as your choice. Provide the path to the USB flash drive (e.g., G:)
13. Then, enter 5 as your choice. From the [INSTALL] menu choose 1 and press Enter.
14. Create a new folder named XPInstall (or any other suitable name) at the root of the pen drive.

Copy all the files from your Windows XP installation CD to it. If the CD is somewhat old, copying

files may give you some headache as the copying process may stop abruptly at an unknown stage if a

file copy error occurs. Specifically to avoid such situation, where you may have to start all over

again, unstoppable copier https://www.roadkil.net/, or TeraCopy https://www.codesector.com/ is

recommended.
14. Restart your computer.
15. Go to the BIOS settings and set to boot from USB flash drive. Some systems may detect your pen

drive as USB Flash Drive, others may report it as USB ZIP Drive, USB Floppy Disk, USB Hard Disk, or

Removable Disk. It depends on your system. Or simply set higher boot priority for all USB options

(USB Flash Drive, USB Hard Disk, etc.) than the Hard Disk.
16. If everything goes well you will boot into a mini version of Windows XP from your pen drive. In

case of any problems, experiment with BIOS settings. Further, you may try plugging your pen drive

into another USB port on your system. (This has worked for me many times!)
17. After the desktop appears, click on Start > Run. Type CMD and press enter.
18. At the command prompt that appears, use CD command to change the working directory to the one

which contains the Windows XP installation files.
For example, enter this command:
CD /D G:\XPInstall\i386
(where G: is the drive letter of your flash drive in My Computer, and XPInstall is the folder

containing the Windows XP installation files. Change G: to the drive letter of the flash drive in

your case)
19. Next, enter the following command at command prompt (without quotes):

" winnt32.exe /makelocalsource /syspart:C: /tempdrive:C: /s:. "
20. Windows XP setup will begin. Once the files have been copied, restart the

system.

21. As the system restarts, enter the CMOS SetUp (BIOS settings) by pressing the appropriate

key repeatedly on the keyboard at required moment and change the settings to boot from hard disk.

22. As your system reboots from hard disk, Wait for the installation to follow its course, follow

the prompts, fill in the required input wherever needed as usual. You have just installed

Windows XP from your bootable pen drive! Give yourself a pat on the back!
kioskeaji Posts 4 Registration date Saturday March 6, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 31, 2010
Mar 31, 2010 at 05:08 PM
Hi,

Have u tried to follow the instructions provided by me at
https://ccm.net/forum/affich-12733-how-to-install-windows-xp-via-pen-drive#178

If u haven't yet tried, or faced some problem in the previous attempt, please read it again at https://ccm.net/forum/affich-12733-how-to-install-windows-xp-via-pen-drive#179 as I have edited the post. Some links were not working. Sorry for the inconvenience caused, if any, due to that. And I am confident that you would definitely be able to install XP from pen drive by following the steps there. If you have any problems then ask again.

Hiren's BootCD (in particular), and Ultimate BootCD, as I have earlier suggested in my post are wonderful pieces of software which contains some really useful tools in addition to the MINI WINDOWS XP, after booting into which using pen drive or CD, you can start the Windows setup(as explained by me in the post).

But if you do not want to download 180 MB HBCD, or around 250 MB+ UBCD, here is another alternative which works equally well. But remember, I personally recommend the Hiren's BootCD method described by me in my previous post (the edited version) because I have tested this method on different hardware and it has always worked. The method I am going to mention now has been not been tested on different hardware. But it worked without problems on my two PCs and the booting time was very impressive. So use your own discretion while selecting the method. Just download these two files:
1. Windows XP USB edition from http://www.dl4all.com/software/133338-windows-xp-usb-edition-boot-windows-from-usb-stick.html

, or directly from http://rapidshare.com/files/341342852/Windows_XP_USB_Edition_-_Boot_Windows_From_USB_Stick.rar.html

2. USB_Format.zip from https://www.hiren.info/downloads/freeware-tools/
and follow the instructions given below.

Step-by-step Instructions:
1. Plug in your USB Flash Drive.
2. Backup your data contained in it.
3. Unzip the downloaded file no. 2 (usb_format.zip) and run usb_format.exe to

format your flash drive using USB_Format.exe as explained in step 4.
4. a) Choose Device to format (in case multiple flash drives are

currently attached to the system)
b) Choose file system
(i) FAT16 - most compatible with different hardware, but if

your flash drive is

more than 2GB, it will not work)
(ii) FAT32 - choose this if pen drive is more than 2GB
(iii) NTFS - if u like experimentation, as all pen drives may

not support NTFS
5. Check the format option: Quick format (optional).
Leave others unchecked. If u choose NTFS file format, "Enable Compression"

option is also

available. (I have been personally using NTFS formatting on one of my pen

drives which allows NTFS

format, with compression enabled option, without any problem. But I have read

that although using

NTFS improves speed, the flash drive may wear out more quickly)

6. Click on Start button.
7. Click Yes when prompted to format.
8. Wait for the format operation to complete successfully.
9. Close USB Format Tool.
10. Run LiveXP.bat. Live-USB Installer script is launched.
11. Enter 1 as choice. When prompted for LiveXP source files, type the path to the INSTALLDIR folder found in this LiveXP package.(e.g. E:\sw\Windows.XP.USB.Ed\INSTALLDIR)
12. Next, enter 2 as your choice. Provide the path to the USB flash drive

(e.g., G:)
13. Then, enter 5 as your choice. From the [INSTALL] menu choose 1 and press

Enter.
14. Create a new folder named XPInstall (or any other suitable name) at the

root of the pen drive.

Copy all the files from your Windows XP installation CD to it. If the CD is

somewhat old, copying

files may give you some headache as the copying process may stop abruptly at

an unknown stage if a

file copy error occurs. Specifically to avoid such situation, where you may

have to start all over

again, unstoppable copier https://www.roadkil.net/, or TeraCopy

https://www.codesector.com/ is

recommended.
14. Restart your computer.
15. Go to the BIOS settings and set to boot from USB flash drive. Some systems

may detect your pen drive as USB Flash Drive, others may report it as USB ZIP Drive, USB Floppy Disk, USB Hard Disk, or Removable Disk. It depends on your system. Or simply set higher boot priority for all USB options (USB Flash Drive, USB Hard Disk, etc.) than the Hard Disk.
16. If everything goes well you will boot into a mini version of Windows XP

from your pen drive. In

case of any problems, experiment with BIOS settings. Further, you may try

plugging your pen drive

into another USB port on your system. (This has worked for me many times!)
17. After the desktop appears, click on Start > Run. Type CMD and press enter.
18. At the command prompt that appears, use CD command to change the working

directory to the one which contains the Windows XP installation files.
For example, enter this command:
CD /D G:\XPInstall\i386
(where G: is the drive letter of your flash drive in My Computer, and XPInstall is the folder

containing the Windows XP installation files. Change G: to the drive letter of

the flash drive in

your case)
19. Next, enter the following command at command prompt (without quotes):

" winnt32.exe /makelocalsource /syspart:C: /tempdrive:C: /s:. "
20. Windows XP setup will begin. Once the files have been copied, restart the

system.

21. As the system restarts, enter the CMOS SetUp (BIOS settings) by pressing

the appropriate key repeatedly on the keyboard at required moment and change the settings to

boot from hard disk.

22. As your system reboots from hard disk, wait for the installation to follow

its course, follow the prompts, fill in the required input wherever needed as usual. You have

just installed Windows XP from your bootable pen drive! Give yourself a pat on the back!
first make you are pendrive ghost bootable and also save window's setup file in pd,boot you are pc by pen drive it will boot in dos prompt ,then go to usb drive and install window.
eg:
cd h: enter
cd window setup enter
cd i386 enter
winnt enter
i think this is best idea in all off them....

Thanks Nil.
You'r Great. Thanks
nice

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Hello,
dear sir
as soon as
Mitesh Salkar
Jul 9, 2008 at 01:00 AM
Windows Xp From a Pen Drive
February 21, 2008 — honeytech

pendrive1.gif
Just remember the state when your windows fails to boot,you get blue screen errors or windows get corrupted.Under these circumstance what you will do?
Waste 40 min in installing the another copy of windows or prefer to run Windows Xp from a Pen Drive.
(Error in the Windows Registry or a Virus Infection, can make your system unbootable).
Try BartPE as it will provide a complete Win32 environment with network support, a graphical user interface (800×600) and FAT/NTFS/CDFS file systemsupport.
Download it here

Things We Need
1.USB Flash drive with at least 256 MB of storage capacity.
2.The files from your Windows Installation CD-Rom.
3.Installation of BartPE in our PC.

How to do?
1.Format pen drive in FAT with HP's freeware tool (download this tool here)
2.Start PE Builder (pebuilder.exe) and insert Microsoft Windows XP installation/setup CD, it will condense the setup files into your pen drive.
3.At the main PE Builder dialog, select the "Pen Drive" option. Hit the "build" button. PE Builder will now ask you to create a BartPE directory, answer with "yes".
4.PE Builder will now start building BartPE. This will take a few minutes. You will see a lot of files getting copied and/or decompressed, into your pen drive. If the data verify was correct and there where no errors reported you can boot the Pen Drive.

Working
1.PE Builder, patch the setup data for Windows XP compatible for USB flash drive.
2.All the important system tools for dealing with a PC emergency are already This compact, portable version of Windows includes .
3.Lots of awesome tools like writing tool Nero Burning ROM or an anti-spyware package such as Ad-Aware SE Personal, during the installation process can also patch with it
Posted in Full Download's, Tips & twiks, review. Tags: boot, honeytech, pe builder, pen drive, Windows Xp From a Pen Drive, xp.
Dear Mitesh Salkar...

This is Manjunath. Can you please tel me how to start pebuilder? And please send full procedure to my mail id.

My Mail Id is Email Id removed for security
what is pebuilder.exe & wher it is found send me via mail & full procedure of windows installation trough pen drive
hello sir I am pradip form Mainpuri
i have problem is as follows I have 2G.B Amkette pen dirve I partation 2 G.B. 1St 652 m.b. and second with security software 1.44 g.b something but security software is delete from pen drive then myu problem that how open 2nd partation tell me solution
Yours
Pradip Sisodiya
Hoshiyar yadav > pradip
Oct 20, 2009 at 03:39 AM
You can download this software with the help of Internet.
Prakash kumar
Mar 21, 2009 at 03:59 AM
How to install windows xp professional service packe 2 via pen drive and how to make bootable pen drive for
windows xp professional installation

Please help me pl...................................

Thankyou
From
Prakash Kumar
email-id Email Id removed for security
sorry no idea friend .....
Hello, dear sir how to install windows xp in HDD via pen drive plz. send the detail my e-mail id
i've dvd writer but it is not working properly,so i've to need install xp through pendrive,i can't use any other software b'coz my system can't able to show starting screen of windows,so i've to format it and also have to use pendrive as bootble cd.give me proper steps for solving this problem,it's urjent.........
ok, thanx.
Hello,
dear sir
Dear sir,
How to install xp in my laptop via pen drive??????????
Plz send the sollution in my e-mail
thank u......
Hello,
dear sir

nitesh kamble
hai I will explain you later.... Now I am little busy with mawork
How to instal window xp via pen drive?
install window xp via pen drive
plese tell me also
sorry dear I dont know.....
Haahahahahahaaaaa
sir how can I install xp via pen drive

email id :- Email Id removed for security
HAy it is very easy and funny to do it.... You please simply sit and ask some one who knows well to do it...Really interesting
ha hahahaaaaaaaaaaaa
hottest rider
Apr 9, 2010 at 06:49 AM
if ne 1 want to no hw to install windows xp from pendrive..i know best solution..call me at Phone number removed for security or mail me at Email Id removed for security

for ne type of computer related problems mail me or give ur queries to Link not allowed
sir
pls give me ans how can use bootable pendrive of xp .i cant format my laptop becos my Laptop is not connect cdrom
how to create bootable pen drive
Aug 14, 2008 at 12:54 AM
pls sent massege my mel id
i have 2GB trancend pendrive and I want to make it bootable. plz send me how to make it bootable trough software.
hi vikash I also have transcend 2gb pen drive but I cant make it bootable for running windows xp setup through it.If you have any idea or software to make usb bootable pls send it on my emil.
Akshay > vikash
Aug 23, 2008 at 05:28 AM
hi man now get the results about Transcend 2GB Pendrive.You should install HP Boot Drive Key.
sonu > vikash
Sep 23, 2008 at 05:15 AM
give reply
usb pen drive install windows xp pro
Apr 4, 2009 at 06:25 AM
usb to install xp pro withouth cd and dvd